• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elk River Kennels???Al Frieberg

Benny

I went up there to day to talk with AL.He seemed like a good trainer, and seems to know his training skills as well.

The grounds were well kept as were the kennels,Lots of places for pup to learn and lots of pigions for her as well.

My question is this, has any one here used his services?And how did things go?

Did he help you afterwards with the dog to keep the training going or did he bail as soon as your feet cleared the door?

Thanks, Benny

I sent my 4 1/2 month old lab up there a few years ago. Haven't been back. The day I went to pick her up Al was showing me what she accomplished. His helper Josh was handling the e-collar on her. She got confused at one point when he nicked her and she sat about 40 yards away instead of coming to him. Rather than correct her, he just kept turning up the heat until she was yelping and curling up on the ground. That's all it took for me. I found another guy that makes the training fun for the dog and paces it at the DOG'S pace, not his. I understand that sometimes you have to get the dog to listen, but not when it's obvious they don't understand. Sorry Al.

Long Gray Line, That is horrible!!! I would never go back either and will never go to start with now. This is the second story I have heard about the same thing.

Word can spread very fast and these guys need to get it together!

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait

Wow, that's not a good sign.I did watch one of his asistants handle a couple of dogs when I was there.He didn't seem to me shocking them to bad.
One was gung ho and ripped through the pond.But the other didn't want to go into the water at all.The asistant went to the dogs side and scratched its ear a little, then gave it the direction sign to go.The dog did enter the water, but the asistant kept turning the dog around to correct for it's misalignment to the dumby.

I talked with Al for maybe 30 minutes, he did say they correct the dog emediatley if they don't obey the comand.
He swatted Mandy across the snout a couple of times to get her to settle down and stop jumping up on us.

But the petco trainer said she uses that same tecnique if she has a real stuborn dog.
They both said you have to teach the dog that complying gets reward and not behaving gets discomfort.

I have two weeks before she is to be brought up, I think I would loose my deposit now though.But if he is that bad with the dogs then the lost deposit would be money well lost.

Benny

Benny, I had a simmilar expirience as Long Grey Line. Basically my dog ended up on tranqulizers for a couple of months after her visit there. She still doesn't hunt and she is very sensitive now.From what I've heard, Josh is gone. I think he was the problem, but do you want to risk it?

Scotty

Tailgunner Ranch and Kennel (507) 931-5538 near St. Peter is where I brought my lab for a week while I went out to Montana to shoot some prairie dogs. I have NOTHING negative to say about Roger Hess and what he does. I must have talk'd with him for three hours when I dropped Mav off and another three when I picked him up. I just brought Mav there to have him kenneled. Roger ended up working him everyday on long retrieves and if I'm remembering right, he shot some birds over him as well. Six nights, seven days $95 is what he asked of me. Very high remarks for his program.

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

Scotty18,I think Josh is still there.I think that was the name of the young guy who was working a couple of dogs that day I was there.

I did see one of those dogs not want to go into the water.It seemed scared to go in, the young guy went to it and scratched it's ear and gave it another alignment to follow.He turned the dog around a few times with in a few yards of where the dog went in at.He did have the collar on, but I couldn't tell if the dog was being shocked or not.It didn't yelp, so I assumed all was well.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask for referances, and confront them about the collar shocking.
When I talked with Tammy earlier she said Al does use the collar(which is fine with me in moderation)but he does it with comation and only for correction if needed.

How long ago was it that you had your dog there?
Would you guys mind if I drop your names on them to see how they respond to me about what happened?
If your alright with it give me an email at [email protected]//after 11:00 tonight use [email protected]

Thanks, Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 05-16-2004).]

Benny, Let me give you the name of guy that does a great job training dogs. He is a friend of mine and takes really good care of the dogs. He Four Winds Kennels (located between Buffalo & Monticello), his name is Tim Melham, 763-682-5860. Give him a call and tell him Jess Kline recommended you.

------------------
Here for all you mortgage needs!
Jess T. Kline
[email protected]

I'll second Four Winds Kennels. Both Craig and Tim know their stuff. Craig did all the training of my Lab and I couldn't be happier. They do train with collars just like most other guys but they know HOW and WHEN to use them.

Well I called the kennels and asked about Josh and thier collar conditioning plan.
I was told that Josh doesn't work there any longer and that they do use the collars for conditioning and correction but on the younger dogs they watch thier reactions closely.

I did like how Al worked with my pup when we were first out there, and since they are so close to me I will still give him a chance.
I am going to insist on a once a week visit even if to watch from the ofice to see her work.

Will keep every one posted on her progress.

Benny

Benny, with such an important investment I would travel the extra distance and get some references on other trainers there are plenty of quality trainers within a hour of the metro. My good friend from elk river took his chocolate lab to Al and is happy with the results but will never take his dog there again. When he went to pick his dog up the trainer was showing him what they worked on and the first time his pup didnt do what he was supposed to the trainer grab him by the ear and yanked until he yelped. This may not bother you but the dog kind of coward from the trainer. I have done the training on my pointer myself but am now looking at sending him to Brian Rousher at Major Ave hunt club in Glencoe for some advanced training. After calling some references and checking into the facilities I am confident that this will be a good choice. I have also heard some good things about the trainer at Blaine kennals. Anyway good luck with the dog I hope everything works out for you. Adam