• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tips to deter DIGGING???

My three month old Chocolate is reaking havoc on my wife's flower beds, digging holes almost a foot deep. I have purchased a product called No - Dig from Petsmart, it is all natural and made of garlic and clove, however it doesn't seem to be doing the trick on him, anyone have suggestions?? Thanks Much

You better keep an eye on him when you are out in the yard and try to catch him in the act and correct him when he starts digging. Or you just keep him in his kennel. I really dont think there is any product out there that works for digging you are just going to have to correct the problem. Dont leave him alone and remember he is only 3 months old still a puppie and that is another thing they do becides chewing up everything in site. He will catch on and also grow out of it.

I agree with irvingdog. Bored dogs DIG.

My ex-girlfriend's 2 yr.ld lab mix was a holy terror. My gardens....gone. My backyard..... trashed. Some of my trees.... YES trees, uprooted. She tried a bunch of "no dig" products that didn't work. Catching the dog in the act and using verbal commands didn't work. She even used my TriTronics E-collar on "the excavator" with no luck. I actually witnessed a level 5 correction with NO effect. That dog was THAT intent on digging.

(No bashing here please. That was the LAST time she ever touched the collar. I had explained the proper way to introduce the dog to the collar and it's proper use. Even told her to read the book. My words went in one ear and out the other. Besides...."It was not MY dog...." rolleyes.gif )

Anyway, my conclusion is that some dogs are just born to be diggers like this one. I suggest... Keep the dog busy. Be with the pup while in the yard. If you can't be there, it's kennel time for puppy.

OR.... although rather extreme and not recommended for everyone's situation, just break up with the owner and both problems are solved in one shot. grin.gif (jk)

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

[This message has been edited by Moose-Hunter (edited 04-25-2004).]

Sgt Caesar, I know the feeling well! Ike is at that age when digging is fun. His brother and sister are into it too! The posts above are right, he needs something else to do but I'm not completely agreed with just kenneling him. At this age exercise and exploring are good things. If that bottle of garlic stuff says guaranteed on it, take it back and get your money. We tried it too. Jonah went over and started licking it off the plants. We found something that seems to work though. We found a spray bottle of "hot pepper wax" at a local lawn & garden shop. They make one for animals and one for bugs. It's the same ingredients, different concentrations. Capsacin is the main ingredient, same thing that makes habaneros and jalapenos taste the way they do. It leaves a waxy coating on whatever you spray it on. Once the pup gets that burning taste, they don't seem to want to go back! Nice thing about the stuff is that it leaves a waxy coating that seems to last for a good while. It also keeps the army worms out of your trees! We found that out over the last couple of years.
Jeff

get the pup some indistructable hollow chew toys and stuff them with ballonie and peanut butter or biscuts theywill work for ever to get the prize. It really keps em occupied. Later boar

Great point Boar. The toy you are talking about is called The Kong, and they work great for curing boredom. The trick is to fill it with things the dog has to work at to get out. I've found globbing the inside with peanut butter works pretty well also.

Hey there SgtCaesarfishinguy...

"Wind up trying them ALL"?!! shocked.gif Word of warning... Watch out for my the last suggestion in my post!! It is on the extreme side!! shocked.gifshocked.gif

DISCLAIMER....

Although that method worked GREAT for me, situations do vary and the use of the above posted method carries no warranty expressed or implied. LOL!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Good luck with Pup....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

[This message has been edited by Moose-Hunter (edited 04-28-2004).]