• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crestliner Sportfish?

311Hemi

Ok, I have been throwing around a few boats here based on what I am finding out there. Today I found a 03' Crestliner Sportfish 1850 with a 115hp Johnson with what the owner said has 60-100 hours. He's an old gent that could not even tell me if it's a 2 or 4 stoke, but said he has only used it a hand full of times and did not use it last summer at all. He said it was winterized before it was stored and has been stored indoors since then. He said the boat is in great condition.

The 2003 is the first year they had the rear fold down bench and the nicer seating in the bow.....which is exactly what I am looking for (both areas for seating). I have not been able to find many other boats with this exact setup unless I go newer.

I think he will sell for around $12500. This is priced over nada value but not by much. Seems to be a good deal compared to what I have seen these boats going for.

That price seem decent?

Any known issues with 03' 115 Johnsons? The only thing I could see what a white cover of the motor...so I was not able to figure out the engine by the one pic. BTW, I know this is a bit underpowered but I would be looking to upgrade the outboard in a few years.

I have a few thoughts for you, just stuff you might want to consider .....

About the book value and if he's a little over it ...... there's two things that really matter here. One is what you think the boat is worth. You said it was in great condition, that it has the layout that you want, and that you haven't found many boats with that layout. Based on that maybe it's worth more than its book value???? But what's more important than book value is market value, and to find out the market value you need to do some research. Try to find comparable boats for sale or that have sold --- you will need to make some judgement calls based on different boats and motors and ages, but you should look at enough of them that are in the same class as this one to get a feel for if he's at the right market value for this boat. Pay close attention to horsepower on the boats you're looking at, and adjust accordingly --- there's a big difference in price as you go up or down in horsepower.

I know this is a bit underpowered but I would be looking to upgrade the outboard in a few years.

This is a losing proposition EVERY TIME. You are ALMOST ALWAYS BETTER OFF to get rid of the underpowered boat and motor as a package and go get something else. I really can't emphasize that enough, but if you're looking at "upgrading" an '03 115 hp for a new 150 hp or something like that you're probably looking at $6,000 plus net out of pocket??? Maybre even $8,000 out of pocket??? If he has the boat underpowered then you need to factor that into the market value, and it should be significant --- many buyers will run away from an underpowered boat for sale.

Based on what you said about the boat I think it sounds good, but based on what you said about the motor I would be hesitant.

Not sure if that helps at all, but good luck with your shopping.

I agree with Perchjerker's comments... NADA is a poor estimate of how much a boat is worth. You are much better off trying to find a comparable boat for sale somewhere else and make that comparison. Marine Dealers use a blue book that is published frequently (the name escapes me right now) that is not online that provides a far more accurate used boat price.

With respect to being underpowered... I'm not sure what the boat is rated for, but if it's rated for a 150 max it will be bordering on being underpowered in my opinion, and as perchjerker said, upgrading power is almost always a loosing proposition, unless you get the existing boat / motor for a deal.

marine_man

Thanks for the info guys. I am back to thinking about what I should do. This particular boat is out of state and a long drive...so I want to be sure I know what I need before making any decisions.

From what I can find the max HP for the 2003 1850 is 175hp, which puts it currently at 65%.

I have an 2004 SportFish 1850 that I bought new

back in April of 04. At that time, they were fitted

with either a 175 Four-stroke Yamaha or a 150hp

Mercury Opti-Max. I went with the Mercury, and find

it can easily handle the Fish/Ski parameter.

As you say, the 115 Johnny is under-powered, and it is

probably a carbed unit, which won't help in a Ski

role, when you want the thing to giddy-up right away.

I'm guessing it has an oil reserve resevoir, and is a two-stroke. I haven't heard of Johnson 115's having issues??

The Crestliner is a nice boat. It has a welded hull with

no rivets to start leaking. I use my boat mainly for

fishing. The livewell set-up in mine has the bigger,

lighted livwell in the back and the smaller one in front. I added a 9.9 Merc Pro-Kicker and really like that back deck in the summer time. The dual-console is nice,as is the tall, wrap around windshield.

I have two gripes on my double duty designed Sporty.

One is, they have lousy rod storage. They aren't long

enough, and are unacessable when the padded seat

is lowered to the fishing deck position?? There is also not

a great deal of stowable space either. Other than this

it pulls the double duty pretty well.

My SportFish also has a 25 inch transom which requires an extended shaft for both motors. This may also be true for that 03, and would come into play if you do get the boat and upsize the motor later.

So, is there a big difference between a 1750 and an 1850, both rigged with a 115hp engine (assuming the same engine and same year boats). The 1850 is roughly 180lbs heavier (in the book) so would that technically make it roughly equal to the 1750 with two guys.....correct?

In comparing the following any thoughts on length vs power? What does that extra 1' give you as far as space when 4-5 people are in the boat?

2003 1850 with 115 Johnson 2-stk.

2003 1750 with 135 Mec Opti

I'm just worried the 1850 with the 115 might not be able to pull a skier efficiently if there are 3 people in the boat. I'm sure I can get to where I need while fishing...just not in the quickest manner.

Equally important would be the draft and water displacement

differences between the two models, since these would

have impacts on planing up quickly to pull a skier up.

My Opti's powerband is right off the mark, while a

carbed unit would take a little while to wind up.

You can change props to accomidate more holeshot?

I am thinking you will want more motor than that

carbed,115 Johnny is going to deliver if a lot of

water sking is your game. Tubing you would be okay??

It's easy to give opinions on other people's boats and motors, so here's mine .......

On an 18.5 foot boat rated for a 175, I would not even consider a 115. That is more than "a little" underpowered. Besides being longer and heavier I'd guess the 1850 is wider too --- more hull in the water will really slow down your hole shot and speed.

The 135 Merc Opti is the same block, same displacement, as the 150 and 175 Opti. There is going to be a HUGE difference in how a 135 performs vs. a 115, especially if the 135 is on a smaller boat. You're probably talking about 8 mph on the top end, maybe even more. And hole shot won't even be comparable between the two.

If it's in your price range I'd vote for the bigger boat every time, but not an 18.5 footer with a 115 on it. I'd keep looking.

Your first post didn't say if this was a 17.5 or 18.5 foot boat. If it's the 18.5 I'd definitely pass. The 115 is way underpowered on that big of a boat. It'll work, but I don't know that you'll be satisfied, especially if you do much skiing.

With respect to the Johnson 115 - they're pretty much bulletproof... they've been around for a while and don't have much if anything for "known" problems.

As you say, the 115 Johnny is under-powered, and it is probably a carbed unit, which won't help in a Ski

role, when you want the thing to giddy-up right away.

While a DFI / EFI motor will beat a Carb'd motor off the line just about everytime, I wouldn't bat an eye at buying a carb'd motor for skiing.

marine_man

Your first post didn't say if this was a 17.5 or 18.5 foot boat. If it's the 18.5 I'd definitely pass. The 115 is way underpowered on that big of a boat. It'll work, but I don't know that you'll be satisfied, especially if you do much skiing.

I just noticed that, I updated the original post...thanks! Yes, I meant to say it was an 1850 (18') boat.