• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sevylor Fish Hunter 360

xdreamhonda

Fish Hunter 360 12ft Inflatable Boat.

<- video i found on youtube of said boat with trolling motor.

Me and my brother just bought this boat from Sportsman Wearhouse. We only have a sedan civic so we can't buy a real boat thats why we decided to get this.

Was wandering what do we need to setup this boat with a trolling motor? From what I understand this is what I came up with on the fly.

1. Motor mount

2. 12v deep cycle battery?

3. boot cover for the boat itself

4. 30-36lb minnkota trolling motor

5. floor board so we can stand if need and also better weight distribution.

6. life jacket vest especially being on this boat.

From what I think, looks like when I purchase the battery it should come with the connections and the plug to recharge the battery? and than when I get the trolling motor it should have the wiring harness or whatever its called and I should be able to hook it up to the battery itself?

I am a complete newbie at this, so no idea just thinking of it as logically as I can. any pointers or help is GREATLY appreciated.

Looking for a more definite or clearer explanation of what I need and can or do for this setup.

We are looking forward to use this on the multiple lakes around the metro area. CANT WAIT!!!! also can this go on the river at all? we were thinking maybe it can but no power and probably not very safe.

Thanks in advance for any input.

When you purchase the battery you'll get just that, a battery. The trolling motor will likely have ring terminals on it, and that's how you'll connect the trolling motor to the battery. You'll need a battery charger of some sort to recharge your deep cycle battery, which is not included with the trolling motor or battery.

marine_man

I used to own this boat myself when I was younger. It would have no problem getting a couple people around a smaller lake with that 30 lb trolling motor. I will say this- make sure you get the floor kit more than anything else. This adds a rigid wood floor to the boat. While I am sure this will allow you to stand easier in this boat, I believe you will benefit more by actually protecting the inflatable floor. Even though the boat is made from heavy guage PVC, anything from pebbles (surely you will get a few in there) to hooks can easily puncture the floor. Without the wood floor added, I guarantee it would be the first part of the boat to spring an air leak.

A couple other things... make sure to to inflate the boat so it is very firm. It will get a little soft when sitting out on a sunny day for awhile. That also brings up another point- make sure you have some towels or, more preferrably, a couple floating boat cushions (throwable type II?) to sit on in the boat. The black and dark green PVC material the boat is made out of gets VERY hot on a nice summer day. You may want to consider getting a real battery box for the boat as well. The boat does come with a "battery pouch", but it is very flimsy, will not hold up very long, and I am not sure it is even legal compared to a real battery box. Also, after a day of fishing, make sure the boat is completely dried out before storing it to avoid mildew.

All that said, you will still only get about 2-4 years out of the boat (depending on usage) before it springs a non-easily-repairable air leak. Getting the repair kit from Sevylor will allow you to fix any smaller punctures or holes that may develop over its lifetime. However, you can count on there being a time when it's time to throw the thing away.

thanks for the inputs fellow fishers! yeah, it doesnt come with any paddles but that is a for sure item I will get. where would I be able to buy the charger for the battery and cables? and any idea what the price is?

Thanks once again all!

- Jake

I didn't see it listed, but you will need some kind of pump to inflate it. I'd go with the 12 volt, that you can just hook up to your car battery. Also, just like any other boat or canoe, it does need to be registered and licensed and some way to display the license numbers.

steffanf : Would you be kind enough to list the items you had purchased for your sevylor? If you had one setup already that would be sweet, to know what you did or how you set it up. And what kind of pump did you use? I was thinking of purchasing that coleman waterproof air pump that is rechargable. Thanks everyone for the inputs! as soon as it gets warmer out and the water is good ill try to post pics and vids of this just so anyone who else is wandering will get a idea of how it works and stuff!

OK... here is what I bought way back when:

Sevylor Repair Kit for Inflatables (not sure it one comes with the boat or not)

Wood paddles (about 4-5' length)

Battery box (standard plastic-type with nylon-fabric strap)

Battery

Transom-mount trolling motor (I used a 40 lb Minn-Kota)

Rear Motor Braket (made by Sevylor)

Wood Floor Kit (made by Sevylor)

Electric Air Pump (with car cigarette lighter adapter)

2-Way High Volume Manual Air Pump

Small bell anchor with rope

1 or 2 mooring ropes

Life vest (1 per person)

Type IV Throwable life-preserver (cushion)

At least 2 large, heavy bath towels

Small duffle bag with some tools (pliers, adj. wrench, etc.), as well as some necessities (TP, extra Boston air-valves, bug spray, sunblock, the bath towels, etc.)

Fishing gear (of course)

Here are some other notes:

1.) You also need to register a raft in MN and display the registration numbers and decals if you plan on motorizing the boat. I believe this includes using a trolling motor- someone correct me if I am wrong here. I used to live in Illinois when I had the raft and the state regulations were different (I didn't need to register a raft in IL). You will have to fashion some sort of placard to affix the numbers and sticker to. I would simply use a couple pieces of painted plywood (1/2"), 4" x 24" and string them along the rope that goes around the boat using screw-eyelets or just holes drilled in the plywood itself.

2.) Get the largest size transom-mounted trolling motor you can get to put on that Sevylor Motor Mount out back. I would get the shortest shaft motor possible. Whatever you do, do NOT purchase the crappie tiny trolling motor made by Sevylor. It is made to mount on the boat without the need for the rear motor mount. However, it is very small, underpowered, overpriced and has a questionable mounting system.

3.) I personally never used the inflatable seats that come with the boat. I just sat on the rear of the boat itself on one of the Type IV life preservers. You sit up higher and are able to control the motor easier. The seats just take up too much space, in my opinion.

4.) You really want two types of air pumps. The battery-operated one is so you get the heavy inflating done faster. There are, I believe, 5 individual air chambers to inflate and it can take awhile. Get the highest volume pump you can afford. Also, you will likely need a manual air pump as well. The reason is, I have found that the electric pump can only inflate things to a certain PSI. With the manual pump, you can get things to the proper PSI... you want things to be nice and firm. Do not get a foot pump. The best kind you want is a two-way hand pump. It sort of looks like a bicycle pump, but with a big 5-6" diameter cylinder. This pump has a high air-volume and pumps out air when you push down AND pull up on the handle.

5.)Do make sure you get a proper plastic Battery Box. I know the boat comes with a "Battery Pouch", but it is very flimsy. Also, I am fairly certain this pouch would not meet the current laws and regulations for MN.

I hope this helps... if there is anything you think I might have missed, let me know.

-Gregg B.

alright thanks for all the information steffanf! and everyone else for their inputs. didnt know sportsman warehouse was going out of business but was lucky enough to pick up a few items for way cheaper than I can find online.

picked up a boot, motor mount and floorboard for a heck of a deal. just need trolling motor, battery, charger, paddles and life vest, etc...

X-tackleman how does your battery last with your 50#??

thanks all for the inputs and I still welcome any other inputs!

I always made sure the battery was fully charged, before using it. At full speed, it should last at least 3 hours. I used to use it on a fiberglass canoe, which I wish I still had, and it would last 1/2 day with plenty of juice left. For normal fishing on a small lake, it should last most of the day.

do you guys think this would boat with the trolling motor be good for a lake like minnetonka type or phalen type? and what about the missisppi or coon rapid dam? probably to fast or strong for this eh?

also if i dont use the motor do i still have to have it register? for example if I plan to use it for now b4 i get the motor do I have to get it registered?

thanks!

You still have to get it registered now, you just don't need to display the numbres yet (still have to display the registration sticker through). As far as appropriate lakes, 'Tonka is about your WORST bet in the metro area, especially on a weekend. If you stay in the smaller bays, like Grays Bay, you should be OK... but stay away from the large main lake/eastern bays.

Phelan would be good for this boat as long as it isn't too windy. You might try a rock in a basketball net for an anchor. Some of us were discussing that lake in the metro lakes section last year. I live right by it and use both my boat and canoe on it all the time. Anything that floats and gets you outside the weedline on Phelan is a big help. Plenty of Bass and Northerns.

I have the most luck on the east side, north of the bottleneck.

you bring up a good point. I was wandering How I was going to anchor this boat? i dont want it to flip over either so should I get like those small 3-6lb anchor balls and have it on the top and bottom sides of the boat?

thanks.

xdreamhonda

I have a Sevylor motor mount MM 3 kit that I was trying to sell at the swap meet but no one wanted it for a buck. If you are interested let me know and I will try and get it down to the cities for a local pickup. No Charge grin

jimalm

thanks for the offer. a little late, I just purchased one at sportmans warehouse during their store closing so I cant return it. Man, that wouldve been awesome. Thanks a bunch for the offer. unless you other stuff I could use with this hf 360.

thanks!

Alright, Finally...Got most of the stuff taken care of now besides getting the motor. Cant wait to try this boat out now. I just got the boat registered. Now need ideas on how to get this to be displayed on the boat? and second what to use for an anchor.

I looked at some of the sporting stores and saw these canoe/kayak small anchoring systems for around $20-$30. Should I get one anchor for each side? not sure how this would work as I dont want the boat to flip or move like crazy since it wouldnt take much for the wind to move this boat.

thanks for all the inputs so far!!!!!

- Jake

As far as displaying the registration numbers, just get some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, cut to the length and width of the numbers, paint and apply numbers, and then affix some screw eyelets to the top edge. Then all you need to do is run the side rope (already on the raft) through the eyelets and you're done. Repeat this for both sides, of course. As far as anchors are concerned, it's a matter of preferrence. I will say that this raft has no keel and it will blow around all over the place, even in a light wind. If it is absolutely prevalent that the boat not move around while anchored, you may want to get a couple anchors. A couple small mushroom anchors should be all you need.

Thanks steffanf! Took it out for a test drive on one of the ponds by me. Man is it FUN. But alot of work to drag up on a little hill.. but nonetheless better than being on the shore!

thanks for the input. will post more information on what I did for my setup.

thanks again all!!!