• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big glass boat vs smaller aluminum?

311Hemi

Trying to determine what boat might better fit me, and what drawbacks I could run into with one vs the other. I am debating between a older model 19' Proline which is a bigger full fiberglass boat that can be washed down easily and I think handle bigger water fairly easily, or something like an early 2000's 17' or 18' aluminum like a Crestliner Fishhawk with full windshield.

The Crestliner Fishhawk would be a newer boat, and a bit smaller. I fish a variety of lake including Mille Lacs and Leech on occasion (few times a year). As it is now I'm not sure the Crestliner 17' would handle the roughly waters well when the winds kick up....which they seems to do fairly often. This boat would be a little easier to pull around though. The downside is it not necessarily set up to be a leisure boat as well like the Sportfish which is a little out of my price range from what I am seeing. I could probably find one of these somewhat rigged.

The Proline has an open bow that can either have premolded cushions down for passengers, or can have those removed for walking up front. I am still trying to find out the overall condtion of the boat so I don't know that it will even work for me. This is a bit older model boat though and I would be looking up upgrade the engine to a newer 4 stoke. It seems that it would be small enough to pull around to local lakes similar to a 20' speed boat, but would be more orientated to fishing the majority of the time. Price may be similar to the newer Fishawk after a newer motor is attached. I would need to rig this boat.... probably at least with a trolling motor (not the easiest to do), and would need a graph and marine radio. Kicker could be added at a later date. A close friend of mine has a Pro Line 22' that we use on Leech and it's great to fish out of and seems to fit 3-4 guys fairly easily......it's just a big boat. Seems this would be a nice match between a bigger and smaller boat.

My dad and a friend of mine both have a 16' aluminum with 25hp....so the small boat is available when needed. Would like a bigger boat as we start our family in the next year or so....both fishing and water sports would be priority.

93311465_1thumb_550x410.jpg

This one is out of my price range...but similar setup to what I would like. I know this is a sportfish, but I thought they make a fishhawk in a full windshield....don't they?

49755_3.jpg

well IMO if your leaning towards a glass boat get a ranger. ive riding in a couple different glass boats and they by far ride the best. if you have the money look at one of those. i know there not exactly cheap. but for a good price you can find a pretty nice aluminum boat. since you alreadly have a couple smaller boats within reach if you need one i would say get a nice big one the meets your needs.

That's the problem, I am not really looking to push $10k. The Pro Line or the Fishhawk would come in below $10k, although I may have to wait a while to find the right Fishhawk or aluminum boat at the right price.

If I had the money to spend a Reatta would be in my garage right now!!!!

Well to answer your question, I have an 18ft fishawk and will have it on my third great lake in the past year. Whether you have a glass boat or a fiberglass boat if its rough its rough. If you are out in five footers you are going to bounce around a bit.

I have thought about glass boats myself as we all have I'm sure. What would you be towing it with, how big is your garage, where do you usually fish. Which one is set up better for how you like to fish. These are questions that I think will help you more.

PS I don't like Rangers, my friends have had too many cracked hulls and busted windshields...

The Proline in my opinion is more a pleasure boat. Keep it in Minnetonka or on the rivers.

The Crestliner will handle Mille Lacs, Leech, LOTW, Rainy just fine. Plus you will be able to tow it much easier.

If you are looking for a party boat go Proline.

I have thought about glass boats myself as we all have I'm sure. What would you be towing it with, how big is your garage, where do you usually fish. Which one is set up better for how you like to fish. These are questions that I think will help you more.

Sutty, do you have a full windshield or have any personal opinions on that? Mainly wanted that for motoring across lakes or during rain with a canopy type setup, but seems most fishhawks are SC setups.

Towing is no problem, 03' Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins. Not sure either would fit in the garage, possibly the Crestliner but it would take up more space that I would like. Would either store it outside or in storage over the winter.

As to how I fish...hard to say. I mainly target eyes...either trolling (cranks and spinners), or drifting/jigging, very little casting or bobber fishing. In what ways would you look at how the boat would be better/worse as far as that goes or what would should I be thinking about?

I really fish anywhere and would want the capability to handle somewhat rough water on Mille Lacs, Leech, but certainly could see myself on some 200-400 acre lakes at times. Party boats is not required, family orientated would be. Would not be a strictly fishing boat.

I have the dual console bubble windshields. I like the setup being more open. It seems to me that the only time I have an issue is with a cross wind and a full windshield wouldn't help that anyway.

I am sure there are rainy days that I might stay a little drier with a full windshield, or help block the wind etc.

I guess I grew up in a tiller so having anything in front of me is a bonus :-)

This one is out of my price range...but similar setup to what I would like. I know this is a sportfish, but I thought they make a fishhawk in a full windshield....don't they?

49755_3.jpg

I think it was 2006 when you could get a full windshield on a fishhawk.