• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mounting depth finder transducer question

jwmiller33

i have a question regarding how i am supposed to mount the transducer of the depth finder on my boat. i know where you are supposed to mount the holder for the transducer, but my question is how am i supposed to mount the holder? i have heard that using a small square block of wood with pre drilled holes that are smaller than the screw/bolt you are going to be using is the way to go.... is that correct?

if i am going to be having to drill holes in my transom, should i buy some epoxy to put around the screws and holes to make sure no water comes in thru the holes?

can anybody help me out with ideas and hints on the best way to mount the transducer? do you guys make 3 holes, two for the screws/bolts and one for the chord to come thru the boat?

I would look at getting a transducer mounting board that just takes two screws to mount. This way in the future you can move your transducer, add transducers, etc without putting more holes in your boat. You can buy these at most sporting goods stores that have a marine section.

2-2970920C.jpg

For the transducer cable it might be best to just run the cable over the transom in a convenient location and secure with some cable clips. I'm not sure what kind of boat you have, but I try to run the cable with the steering cables and other wires back from the console.....they are usually already bundled up and it's easy to just add another cable to the bundle. When you get back to the engine you can take the cable away from the bundle and run it over the transom. Otherwise you'll have to drill a mighty big hole in the transom to get the cable through and it'll be pretty tough to seal that up.

The transducer boards are a good option, although not needed in my opinion unless you're not sure of your mounting, or expect to be changing out transducer brackets a lot. The only issue I have with them is that I don't like more "stuff" hanging off the back up my boat - you especially don't want them below the hull or they'll affect performance.

I'd screw, or bolt, the transducer bracket and use silicone that is made for wet applications.

For the transducer cable, I would try not to do a separate hole - I'd try to run over the transom and through the splashwell or whereever it's convenient and out of the way.

ok thanks a lot guys i appreciate the help

i have a 16 ft lund, so i dont have steering cables or anything.. this is a pic of my boat (from the back)[prior to the makeover]....

5.jpg

3.jpg

i dont plan on getting a new depth finder for a longgg time.. i think this one will last me several years.. i guess i will probably go with the route of running the wire up the transom and down by the gas tank....

so does drilling thru the piece of wood really work? is that the route i should go for securing the transducer mount?

does the piece of wood go on the inside of the boat or the outside of the boat?

should i use 2 screws or 2 bolts?

Hey Jwm. Is your boat located in Duluth? If so, I could possibly come over and give you a hand, as I find it diffucult to explain. blush But it is not hard to do. Let me know, and if in Duluth, I could give you a hand, when I have time. Junky....

hey Junky--i am in saint paul until next friday... then i am moving back to duluth until september (nice long summer vacation)... so starting next friday, i am going to be working on my boat constantly until she is water ready... if you would help me out with mounting the transducer thing, that would be awesome... where abouts in duluth do you live? i live up in hermantown... shoot me an email at [email protected]... thanks a lot!!

Jw. Looks like it will work out perfect for you, as Next Friday is the start of my week off. Don't buy the transducer board and don't saw down a tree for that block of wood. We'll get 'er installed for ya. Email me at [email protected] Saturday would be a good time to do it for me, or if not, we can arrange another day. Junky.....

perfect! thanks a lot fishing junky! thats extremely nice of you. i didnt buy the transducer board i was just looking at it and checking it out (a managed to drop $300 on other stuff at FF tho!!)... Saturday works for me too. I will definitly shoot you an email very soon!

I've heard of people using a poly cutting board for the mounting surface instead of spending the extra for the "real" one. Probably find that at a Walmart or somewhere similar and cut it to the size you want.

If you feel that you won't be changing transducers in the near future then you could probably just screw the 'ducer right to the boat and be done with it. Quick and easy. On my last boat I put silicone on the screws and the hole and then fastened the transducer bracket. Done deal.

I bought some marine grade sealant/silicone tonight at FF.... so are you saying I would be fine just drilling the transducer mount bracket right into the back of the transom? Would the sealant hold those holes fine?

Thanks much

Yep, that should be the ticket.

Find a good place to mount the bracket before you get drill happy....you don't want the transducer in any turbulent water so don't mount it in-line with one of the ribs on the hull. You typically don't want it too close to the engine either. The bottom of your boat looks pretty flat all the way out to the edge so there should be a lot of room to put it where you want.

If you go with a mounting board it goes on the outside of the boat. Fasten it to the boat with 2 or 3 stainless bolts / locknuts and some sealant. Then when you mount your transducer bracket you are screwing into the board only, not into the boat. That way you have your 2-3 holes in the boat and no other ones. You can put as many holes in the mounting board as you want - ie. reposition or replace your bracket as many times as you want - without putting any more holes in the boat.

I was looking at the pictures of your boat. I had the same boat when I started fishing in Minnesota. I bought it new in 1984. I used it for 9 years before upgrading. It was amazing where that boat took me. I had it in all the lakes around Duluth, Lake Superior, Cloquet and upper St. Louis Rivers. Took it to Canada several times a season to Rainy, LOW, Lac Suel, Manitou and others. It didn't matter if the lakes were big or small the old Lund made the trip (be safe). Used it for camping in Voyagures Park and in Canada. Taught all the little kids in the neighborhood how to ski at Pike Lake. I'm talking 5 and 6 year olds. Looks like you need some new wood, some elbow grease, and some touch up paint and you will be on your way.