• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

devils lake northerns.

Me and bunch of buuddies heading to devils lake march 12 and guessing watching the weather vechile traffic should be ok. Our main targets are northerns and the last time we wre out there we used treble hooks and frozen herring and smelt, I was just wondering what some other tactics are for northerns? and how has the nortern bite been? hope we picked a good time to come out? Thanks for any info

Quick Strike Rigs and frozen big baits are the way to go; unfortunately sucker minnows aren't permited in ND.

Your time of the year to come out should be ok... the closer to late ice the better, but you have to balance it against when you can still get on the lake.

Good luck!

marine_man

Thanks for the info marine man. Do you know what travel is like on the lake I heard there was alot snow limiting travel, but it should be getting better? And one more question what size hooks do you use on your quick strikes for northerns and thanks again for your help.

I can't speak too much for the travel. I have heard that it has been difficult, and there hasn't been too much for melting up here.

I'm not certain what size hooks they are, I typicaly buy the HT pre-made quick strike rigs.

marine_man

Spear Foot,

I just got back from the Devils Lake area. Fished Friday & Saturday March 6 & 7. We actually never even wet a line on Devils Lake. A buddy of mine from the Devils Lake area took us to Lake Irving (about 20 miles west of the town of Devils Lake along Hwy. 2 just northeast of the town of Church's Ferry; if you're not familiar with the area). You can actually see the lake right off Hwy. 2 (to the north) and can access it just east of Church's Ferry. The walleyes didn't bite all too well, but if you're looking for northerns, I alone caught and released 60 of them in the two days. The same for everyone else in my crew and many of the other anglers we talked to. They were mostly between 3 & 4 pounds, but we caught a few in the 5-6 pound range. The lake is very shallow (about 4' of ice with 2-3' of water under the ice at the deepest points). Just a heads up if the northerns aren't biting on Devils Lake.

Funny how things work. Yesterday I was printing off maps and looking for Lake Irving but non of the maps had Lake Irving or churches ferry but the directions sound easy enough and I'm stopping at ed's bait shop and I'm sure they can set me up. Cant thank you enough and will report back with a report.

Way to go Lakers now you got me going bonkers and want leave right now, lol. Any way I forgot to ask how conditions were for driving on irving with a 4 wheel drive pickup. ice and snow. And as far as know there no slots on devils or irving are there? Been a while since I been there and do you need an auger exstension ?

Well we should be at devils lake by 9 tommorow morning. I'm thinking about heading to irving for some northerns first for a couple picklers, then heading to devils for sat and sunday to find some bigger northerns. The way it sounds the fish on irving are on the smaller side. Why is the lake so shallow? Doesn't it ever freeze out?

As far as I know there are no slots for lake Irving. But we didn't keep any northerns, so didn't really pay attention. All I can say is jig anything gold (the northerns loved my gold JB Lures jig eyes tipped with a full minnow). I lost a couple of them to those buggers, and had to change treble hooks several times because of all the fish. We also caught several on tip-ups with minnows. As far as last week, everybody was driving on the ice (though be it very rough). If you're up there this weekend I'm sure you will be able to drive. Just remember your auger extension because the ice is all of 4' thick!!!!! You have to go a ways out from the access (you can see the group of ice houses about a couple of miles to the north on the ice). Just follow the ice trail to the group of houses or past them and you should be good!!!!

Good luck.

I'm heading up in the morning. Will be at Irving with tip-ups and smelt. White chev 2005 and blue 90's suburban 4 guys. I have been up there many times and even when it's 25 or 30 below w/o w/chill we were warm because we had to do all the running. Flags up all over the place!

We have a hunting shack about a mile north of Irving. I was wondering if hotdogs catch more fish the smelt???? Thats what people were using a couple years ago and they said it was 4 to 1(hotdogs over smelt!!) Good Luck fishing!!! There is some pigs in there!!

Got back sunday at about 3 pm we kept about 10 northerns total. Lake irving was a good time. Not much for size but fun and one [PoorWordUsage] of a ride across the lake. Was on devils on saturday and slower fishing but bigger fish. I'm heading up again I think this weekend I still need to find 12lb plus fish for the year, and I think the fishing will be better this weekend.