• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon EOS Rebel 2000

Jordyn,

That's not a bad deal. Film cameras are going very cheaply these days.

I guess my first advice for starting to take pictures is to pay attention to the light. If you're taking fish pics, put the sun over your shoulder to get nice lighting on the fish/angler. Same is true with landscapes when the sun is out. And in most cases with both angler shots and landscapes, the lower the angle of the sun in the sky the better.

If you can keep those two rules in mind I think you'll be happier with your shots right out of the gate, and it will save you some money on film and developing costs.

That's a great quote from Plante. gringrin

Jordyn, that camera is a film camera. If you want to learn the basics of photography, starting with a film camera is a good way to go. In my opinion you will learn faster with film than digital because you must pay attention to your settings to get a great shot. The auto modes work well, but if you want to dive into photography as a hobby, you will likely be using more of the manual modes to control the camera. It is a lot of fun. Happy shooting.

Jordyn, I agree with Tom.

However, if you really want to start out with digital, look for a used Digital Rebel or Digital Rebel XT. They are essentially the digital version of the Canon Rebel 2000 you mentioned in your post. The XT is one model later, and likely will be more available used. They are generally running from $200 to $250.

There's no way to get into digital SLR photography as cheaply as you can buy a film camera body these days.

I will disagree and say you will learn much faster with digital than with film because you have instant feedback to what you are doing. You don't have to wait a few days or a week to see what your results are. This comes from a guy that shot film for 20 years. You don't have the expense of buying and developing the film each time you want to go out and shoot. You don't have to be stuck with one speed film for the whole roll, you can change settings every shot with digital, I could go on and on.

I used to keep an extensive notebook with all my settings from each shot so when I got my slides or negatives back I could see I did and what I would have to do differently when in that situation again. A digital file already has all that information plus you get instant feedback and another chance to take another shot and correct your mistake.

In order to get a good shot you need to pay attention to your settings whether it is digital or film. That is one thing they do both have in comman.

I would be putting my money in a low end digital body and starting there. You will find many used older digitals that will do a very nice job for a starter setup. That is just my opinion for what it is worth.

I also found a canon powershot G5 5MP for $225.

but i will look around for the ones you mentiond

Jordyn, for very little more than that you should be able to find a used Digital Rebel XT and a wide-angle zoom lens (the 18-55mm lens usually called the "kit" lens), and for taking pics of fish and landscapes that'll be plenty to get you started. With the camera there should be a battery (or two) and a battery charger. You'll need to supply your own CF memory card (they are CHEAP these days) unless it's part of the package the owner is selling.

I was perusing the local c list and found a Digital Rebel XT for 250 bucks on there Jordyn.

After thinking about it, what Dan said makes a ton of sense. In order to keep track of your settings to see what you did with film you have to have a notebook. Its all in the exif data on digital so it is easier. Good point Dan.

You will find something good Jordyn, keep an eye out for deals.

You could also check National Camera, I noted a number of Digital Rebels for $250 listed in their used section, don't know if that included a lens. You would have a chance to actually hold the camera in your hands and see how it works.

Would the EOS digital rebel XT be a good camera? Looking at one for a gift. They are not going pro just want to shoot birds and outdoor stuff. I'm familiar with canon but film type. Thanks for any help.

Luvs, that's the exact camera we've been recommending to Jordyn. It's very good for outdoors stuff, but if they want to photograph birds and get close shots, they'll likely want a telephoto lens that gets out to 300mm or more.

There are good deals on used 30D and 40D models as well as those on the Rebel XT. A little searching and you can find a used 30D body for as little as 400, and a 40D for around 575-600. Those deals go fast though, so you have to be ready to act immediately.

Luvs, I need to be clear. Are you saying you'll be buying a brand-new camera? If so, none of the cameras mentioned will be available for retail sale, as they are older than the new models. One possible exception would be the Canon 40D, which was supplanted several months ago by the 50D but may still be available in limited quantities from some retailers.

If by new you simply mean new to you or new to the recipient, then used is fine.

Which might it be?

And then let me ask you what your price range is, which is important information when helping someone through the purchase of something like this.

Generally speaking with any of the last few generations of digital SLR cameras, they all are capable of gorgeous image quality, and most experienced photographers will recommend that those wanting to "kick it up a notch" spend the money on higher quality lenses rather than paying more for a camera body that doesn't produce better image quality but has more bells and whistles. There are some exceptions to that, but it tends to hold true most of the time.

Another generalization is to buy entry level on the body, wide-angle zoom lens and telephoto zoom lens and wait to see if the one who gets the gift becomes really interested. If not, you're OK. If they do feel the bite of the bug, then you can examine a whole gamut of better/more expensive lenses for future gifts.