• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best icefishing rod for pan fish?

Cove

I'm seeking recommendations for the optimal rod for panfish, including perch.

Specifically

1. How many inches long? (17, 24, 26 etc)

2. What Power? (Ultra light (UL), light (L), medium light (ML) etc.

Those are the main two variables I can think of.

My current panfish rods, are:

24 UL

26 L

24 ML

I broke an UL recently but before I run out and replace with another UL I thought I would ask what you guys are using and liking. As you see, I have pretty light stuff. It has occured to me that since I use good spring bobbers I could stand to use a rod with a little more power (less whippy) but I would like your opinions.

I love my 28" St. Croix Premier UL for both crappies and sunnies. I added a HT spring bobber that inserts into the tip.

The rod has a lot of play and some backbone. Its a blast to catch them on it.

The ML St. Croix is also a nice rod. Semi Sensitive tip with backbone to it. Also I have used it for walleyes

if you want something thats in a light model i don't think that there is a better rod than the 24" ML st croix legend it somes with springs that are IMO the best out there plenty of backbone for a wally or nord but still light enough for a pannie

Thanks Fellas,

I not only got some good answers but this discussion helped me sort out some thoughts that were just half formed. For instance:

There definately is a rationale for having both a short rod arsenal (17 - 24 inch) and a longer (around 26-30). Some variables are whether I am in a smaller space like my Fish Trap or outside. There are other variables as well. I have typical 59 yo near vision problems. Normally wear 2.25 diopter reading glasses but the sonar and rod tip are out of focus with that so I wear 1.5 diopter while ice fishing. Also, if I hunch over for hours I have a heck of a sore back for a day or two.

Here is what I think I will do. I have the mid length covered (24 - 26 as above). I will add a 17 inch UL or L (whatever is on sale) and a 28 L or ML. Often good sale prices this time of year. That would give me 5 rods which is overkill but the very longest and shortest would be special purpose. I usually like to have 3 or 4 rigged and ready when I hit the ice. Also, sometimes I bring along somebody with no gear and we can both have a couple servicable rigs.

I have the Legend 24 inch in UL and agree it is a sweet rod. That is one of the few I bought that were not just whatever was cheap and on sale....

Thanks for the help

sorry guys but i'm done with the jm meatsticks . i've had 3 tips break off and i'm always very careful with my rods . always in a stone legacy bag . tb rods only for me, with the noodle rod being my fav

for me i go with the inexpensive but still a very good rod. the 23" L dave genz bluegill rod. it has good sensitivity and it still has plenty of backbone on it. i found all kinds of genz stick combos with good reels for 14 $ or less

good luck and i hope you find the right one.