• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Wheel House Construction (Advice Please?)

Fuzzbient

That's what I thought after the fact as well. :-) It was the same price as the 10,000 btu so I thought I'd try it out and if I don't like it I'd get something else and hook it up in my garage instead. It's a dual fuel so it would work great in the garage hooked up to the home natural gas.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd reconsider the window placement while you have time. Consider sitting down in a chair and looking out the window...the way the one window is situated, it makes it look as if it would be too high. All too often I see windows placed, what I consider, too high to look out if you're sitting on a chair. Now's the time to change.

I'm going to go with painted .040 sheet aluminum for the siding. Nothing will go under it. Speaking with experts that do the foam insulating, they like to spray it right against the inside of the aluminum. The insulation will add quite a bit to the structural support as well.

Picked up the siding Today (smooth white .040 sheet aluminum) and a diamond plate for the front. Can't wait to get the shell finished. I do have a couple questions.

1 - What type of screws do you all recommend for attaching the aluminum sheets to the studs? Just standard 1" stainless steel wood grip screws with a flat head?

2 - What's the best way to bend the aluminum sheet siding around the corners to get clean even bends?

Picked up the siding Today (smooth white .040 sheet aluminum) and a diamond plate for the front. Can't wait to get the shell finished. I do have a couple questions.

1 - What type of screws do you all recommend for attaching the aluminum sheets to the studs? Just standard 1" stainless steel wood grip screws with a flat head?

2 - What's the best way to bend the aluminum sheet siding around the corners to get clean even bends?

We brought all our diamond plate aluminum to Midway Iron in St. Cloud. They will sheer it and bend it to whatever angle you want. They do a very nice job.

For the screws, we used the rubber sealed ones that are used for pole shed siding. They come in different colors to match the siding. I guess that part is personal preference. Do what looks good to you.

The other thing you could do is use the double sided tape to attach the siding. The next house I do will be getting attached that way. If the stuff is used by the airlines, I think it would be strong enough for siding on a fish house. JMO.

We brought all our diamond plate aluminum to Midway Iron in St. Cloud. They will sheer it and bend it to whatever angle you want. They do a very nice job.

For the screws, we used the rubber sealed ones that are used for pole shed siding. They come in different colors to match the siding. I guess that part is personal preference. Do what looks good to you.

The other thing you could do is use the double sided tape to attach the siding. The next house I do will be getting attached that way. If the stuff is used by the airlines, I think it would be strong enough for siding on a fish house. JMO.

Really, who makes that kina tape? And where do you purchase "Aircraft Quality Double Sided Tape"?

I believe that you can get the tape at Menards(not positive). I think the tape is VHB, made by 3M.

Here it is:

http://www.shop3m.com/70006429198.html?u...1&WT.srch=1

Here is a short video I found about the tape.

Amazing! Expensive too. I'm guessing it would be over 100 yards to cover all studs and the top and bottom plates. I wonder if they just put in smaller segments to make it go further.

Yes, the expense is the killer on this tape. I will have to think real hard, and estimate the total cost for doing the whole house with it.

I spray foamed the inside of the shack Yesterday and did a bit of cleanup on it Today. Time to start installing the t&g knotty pine. Here are a couple pics, before and after spray foam. It's my first attempt at spray foam insulation so be kind.

IMG_4168.JPG

Now after the spray foam. It sure gets hot quick with a tiny propane heater!

IMG_4178.JPG

What would you guess the total weight of a shack this size to be? I have a perm. ice shack and would like to build a drop down one like this but I live in Southern WI and we don't get too much ice.

The trailer frame is 2x4 tubular and isn't very heavy. I was able to lift it easily by the corner before adding the floor (wild guess ~500 lbs?). The floor is the heaviest part since it's made from 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood (~250 lbs). The walls are all 2x2 with .040 aluminum sheets so they didn't add much for weight (~100 lbs). Foam insulation doesn't really add any weight. I would be curious to get it on a freight scale and see what it turns out to weigh, but it's not bad at all. I'm guessing it will end up somewhere around 1,000 lbs plus payload of propane, battery, and occupants.

I'll be able to pull it around with my ATV no problem. It's much lighter than many of the perm skid houses I see. I'd still want a good 6 to 8 inches of ice before I take it out.