• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Wheel House Construction (Advice Please?)

Fuzzbient

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planning on redoing my house this summer has anybody used or know anybody that used steel liner that menards carries I was thinking mounted it vertical i dont want to spend alot of money on aluminum also do you put any backed under your siding . also I am going with 3/4" single floor now I have a sandwiched floor but i want it to sit lower i am planning on cutting pink foam and gluing it and running nails or screws with big washers to hold it in place then gride down the other side that sticks out the floor and also spray foaming all the seams .

I am planning on redoing my house this summer has anybody used or know anybody that used steel liner that menards carries I was thinking mounted it vertical i dont want to spend alot of money on aluminum also do you put any backed under your siding . also I am going with 3/4" single floor now I have a sandwiched floor but i want it to sit lower i am planning on cutting pink foam and gluing it and running nails or screws with big washers to hold it in place then gride down the other side that sticks out the floor and also spray foaming all the seams .

If you are talking about the pole shed steel siding, we figured the cost out between the aluminum and the steel. The steel was just as much as the aluminum after you add up all the j-trim and the corners for the steel. With the aluminum, you won't have the extra cost of the corners, and j-trim.

I would stick to the flat aluminum siding.

I would really try not to go white. On lake bemidji there must of been 200 houses out there. The whites were very hard to see I just worry about a snowmobile plowing into it. I went bright red . Blues are easy to spot also Ive seen wear black have a tendency to melt the snow around the house and freeze it down when i built mine I took a 2x6 and ripped it three times its cheaper. You could also try to put a stripe around it.

It doesn't matter what color your house is. They all have to have reflectors on them. If a snowmobile hits the house, they are either really stupid,blind,or drunk. There is no good reason for anything hitting a house on the lake. They still stick out like a sore thumb on the open lake. If a snowmobiler hits one, and says they didn't see it, they were more than likely going too fast, and overdriving the headlight. No excuses!!

Where you get the siding, they have trim that covers the edge of the roof and the outside edge if the siding. An L shape piece, place a chalk strip under it and screw it down. Then there is a rubber trim that goes in to cover the screws. Looks very nice when done

Several more questions, I'm also contemplating building my own:

1) Flooring, what do you like on top of the plywood? Carpet is bound to get wet - its a fishhouse!! But what can you put on the floor thats not so darn slippery??

2) The roof, whats better, steel or rubber? And how do you attach it?? That part has got me baffled!

3) Hole placement. I guess I'm used to sitting in a portable with two holes close together, seems to me a lot of the houses have their holes too far apart, that you'd have a hard time seeing and fishing two holes at once, unless you use rattle reels. How did you decide on where to put the holes?

4) Lights, is electric or gas better? Gas would mean less messing with batteries. Also, are hole lights necessary?

More questions to follow!

Thanks!

I just have the bare green treated floor. Dries up pretty quick when you're running fans. Others have used the garage flooring paint or regular paint with sand mixed in to give grip to it.

One piece Steel is better, but rubber roofs are probably cheaper.

We put holes mostly on one side to give alot of room on the other for walking. We also put holes under the table, but have found that we don't use them much.

We have both AC and DC lights. Even though we run a generator most of the time the DC is nice for those times when the generator runs out of gas, or when you forget to bring gas like we did once. I like the gas mantle idea enough, but it's just one more thing that can start a fire and leak.

We don't have hole lights. Our house is plenty bright and you can see without any issues. Hole lights seem like a luxury, and not a necessity. But that's up to you.

Hole lights would depend on your target species. If you're sleeping over night with rattle reels waiting for walleyes, you will want hole lights. Turning on over head lights at 4:00am will temporarily blind you and you won't gain friends with anyone sleeping in the house at the time. Small LED hole lights are ideal for those late night rattles.

I just finished siding & roofing my house (getting ready for next year). Used Aluminum sheets (from Distinct builders in Brookings) & one peice galv. roof (got that from my frame supplier). I was actually suprised at how easy the galv roof was to apply. I sheeted the roof w/osb (1/2"), had a 2x3 on outisde top of roof/wall edge. Rolled the galv out & used rubber mallot to bend over edge. Simple & fit right over the 2x3. I also took a peice of very light window trim (came in a 90 degree peice which I used to cover the bottom edge of the 2x3). Very clean finish.

I agree with wallye dude. Galv roof sound tough but very easy. I attached with the same meathod. Ice castle takes this approach as well.

The floor 3/4 green treat with indoor / outdoor carpet Glued works perfect. Your lights = THIN LITES cant say enough good about them and well worh the 50.00. Plenty of light and takes less juice than standard 12 RV lights. I would also run a LP light for a back-up if battery every dies on you. While your at it add a 12 volt as well for when you possibly are camping or get a generator.

As far as hole placement sit in your house and imagine where everything will go. Mark it our on the floor with a pencil. Next imagine who might be fishing with you. Sketch on floor where you may all sit. Then place your holes abd best fit based on where the metal is running on your frame. LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR YOUR AUGER. I took mu auger off the power head and made sure i had enough room in corners and next to the wall. hope this helps.

Fish House Supply has great prices. 4' x 8' white .o24 (that is plenty solid) is only $ 45.00 per sheet. They also carry the .o40 that is 49" wide for not that much more.

White in color to me is great!! You don't see the scratches and the snow does not melt off the banking near as quick as darker colored siding.

As far as someone not seeing them on the ice day or night ( even with reflectors??) They would hit you even if your house was black!! most guys that hit a fish house would be considered.. Hammered!!

I got some hail damaged steel sidind from a guy, heavier but it was free. I also got my roof from a semi trailer dealer. A trailer got damaged and they had to rip the roof off. Only about two inches down one side was damaged and i cut that off because I did not need it all. These roof are made out of aluminum so they are nice and light weight and they role out nice and easy. You can find a lot of cheap but very useful items if you look around.

I just finished siding & roofing my house (getting ready for next year). Used Aluminum sheets (from Distinct builders in Brookings) & one peice galv. roof (got that from my frame supplier). I was actually suprised at how easy the galv roof was to apply. I sheeted the roof w/osb (1/2"), had a 2x3 on outisde top of roof/wall edge. Rolled the galv out & used rubber mallot to bend over edge. Simple & fit right over the 2x3. I also took a peice of very light window trim (came in a 90 degree peice which I used to cover the bottom edge of the 2x3). Very clean finish.

Sounds easy the way you described it. How did you do attach the galvinized tin? Did you screw into the side of the 2x3's? Did you lap the roof over the siding?

Are you confident enough in your roof to leave your fishhouse outside all summer long?

good luck with your project, im sure it will be awesome. I enjoy all the ideas. i will build my own one day too. I want to find an enclosed aluminum trailor to start with, most of it is prebuilt that way. just some mods to the frame and go. i do however want to keep the axel, i want to use it to trailer my bikes on trips as well.

that will pose a problem when laying it on the ice, i will have an axel across my floor, but i will deal with that i guess.

ive pretty much got it built in my head. now i just need the cash to buy the trailor.

The way I finished it, I put a "j-channel" over the 2x3 behind the hammered over galv roof. Then screwed as far down right over the edge of the "j" to hide the screws from above. Very clean & hides the screws from sight below. Ice astle uses a small J and seems to put it over the roof & caulk which to me is not as clean & leaves a spot for water/ice to back into, plus i have seen some where the 2x3 is exposed on the bottom. It probably works fine but the way I did it is "finished". The 2x3 sits on the outside of the framed wall so you are actually screwing to the 2x3.

Aluminum Roofs, Siding and Accessories

Current Pricing

49" x 96" Smooth .040 (alum) White or Black only White $64.00 each

Black $74.00 each

48" x 96" Smooth .024 (alum) White Only $45.00 each

48" x 120" Smooth .024 (alum) White only $60.00 each

Rolled Roofing Galvanized or (Alum) White $2.50 - $3.50 sq. ft.

Diamond Plate $50 - $80

RV Flat Trim $1.25 Lin. ft.

RV Corner Edge Trim $1.50 Lin. ft.

vinyl Screw Cover (for trim) $0.25 Lin. ft.

These are the prices from Fish House Supply. $19.00/sheet more is quite a bid more considering the amount of siding needed to finish a project. confused

I would go check out Midway Iron for the lower price. The price seems to keep going down from week to week.

These are the prices from Fish House Supply. $19.00/sheet more is quite a bid more considering the amount of siding needed to finish a project. confused

$19.00 a sheet? Better redo your Math Big Buck Buster!

Fish House Supply .040 white 49" x 96" $64.00

Miday iron .o40 white 48" x 96" $57.00

- $7.00

Well worth the $7.00 per sheet for a 49" wide sheet then a 48" wide sheet! everything is overlapped!!

Originally Posted By: Big Buck Buster

$19.00 a sheet? Better redo your Math Big Buck Buster!

Fish House Supply .040 white 49" x 96" $64.00

Miday iron .o40 white 48" x 96" $57.00

- $7.00

Well worth the $7.00 per sheet for a 49" wide sheet then a 48" wide sheet! everything is overlapped!!

I was referring to the difference in price at Fish House Supply, not comparing the price at Midway Iron and Fish House supply. The difference is $19.00 between the two choices at Fish House Supply. crazy

Fish House Supply has great prices. 4' x 8' white .o24 (that is plenty solid) is only $ 45.00 per sheet. They also carry the .o40 that is 49" wide for not that much more.

White in color to me is great!! You don't see the scratches and the snow does not melt off the banking near as quick as darker colored siding.

As far as someone not seeing them on the ice day or night ( even with reflectors??) They would hit you even if your house was black!! most guys that hit a fish house would be considered.. Hammered!!

This is what I was comparing it to. Your quote..

I hope to start work on filling the trailer frame spaces with foam insulation this weekend. I'll glue them to the frame with PL300. I'm glad that stuff is good down to 10 degrees for application. Should the 1-1/2 inch be good for under the floor to keep things toasty? What's the difference between the pink and blue foam board?