• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Sportsman 500 HO

Chapo

Chapo, I have the exact same machine and about a year ago had the exact same problem. I probably got lucky, and am not sure this would work for you , but I put a half can of seafoam in the gas tank and have not had a problem since. Might be worth a try.

Chapo, I have the exact same machine and about a year ago had the exact same problem. I probably got lucky, and am not sure this would work for you , but I put a half can of seafoam in the gas tank and have not had a problem since. Might be worth a try.

agreed that is a possible way to fix it. worth a try if all else fails get a carb kit and clean it WELL. like said before sounds like a problem with the needle and seat.

Over time, no matter how careful a person is, dirt can and will find it's way into a carb.

You're right Chapo, you've got 8 good years on the machine and if this is the first time you've had an issue with it, that's a pretty good track reacord IMO.

Polaris is notorious for this. The neeldle will wear in where it sits on the seat and you will need to replace it. Go to your dealer and tell him what it is doing. He will sell you a needle valve and seat kit, I think it also comes with the spring. Take your carb off, then take off the bowl, (bottom peice) remove the pin that holds the float (there is a small spring that connects the float to the needle), remove the needle, unscrew the seat, screw new one in, put new needle in, replace float and bowl, and you are good to go. It is really a simple fix you can do yourself.