• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Okoboji resorts

I have some points to use up for my timeshare before the end of May. I am looking to book a week at Spirit Lake/Lake Okoboji area from May 2nd to May 9th to get some fishing time in before the Mn opener. I have 2 options to choose from in the area. They are "West Oaks" by Arnold's Park and "Sunrise Cove at Village West" in Spirit Lake. I have put the West Oaks week on hold and I have 24 hrs to reserve it or cancell. I thought someone from this forum may know a little about these resorts and may have some input as to which one is nicer. I have never fished these lakes but it is close to home and I wouldn't have to take the whole week off since I am planning another vacation this summer. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Village West is nice...we've stayed there a couple of times, even though we're only about 30 minutes away. I'm sure west oaks is as well, but never stayed there.

FYI, the dates you mentioned would be walleye weekend, which is opener for Okoboji and Spirit. Village West is an excellent location for fishing West Lake, and you could probably check about a hoist for your boat as well. I really don't think you can go wrong with either place.

NW Buck is right. I have stayed at both places, and Village West has alot more amenities, with large indoor pool, restaurant/bar, etc. Both places have been working on renovations, and the units we have stayed in were similar in condition. One thing about West Oaks, even though it doesnt have alot of amenities, it is near alot of restaurants, etc. may not matter to you, but didnt know if your wife/family may come along or not(if you are married)....either would be fine with me if my main focus is fishing...

I booked it that week because of walleye opener. I don't know if I will fish Okoboji or Spirit or both. I plan on checking in on Saturday and staying until Monday night, work Tuesday and Wednsday and head back Wednsday night through Saturday. That way I don't have to use a whole weeks vacation and my wife and kid wont have to miss the whole week from work and school. I only live about 1 1/2 hours away so I think it will work out well. If the fish are biting very well than I may have to stay all week...lol.

There are several units available still for the Village West resort and only one unit left in the West Oaks on RCI so I was kind of wondering why that was. I will have to leave it up to the wife to decide, that way I cant be to blame if I pick the wrong one...lol. As you said, we probably can't go wrong with either one as long as we are on vacation and fishing.

How is the fishing that time of year. I would guess it would be pretty good. I have heard that West Okoboji is a zoo during the summer but I would think it shouldn't be too bad that early as far as recreational boating.