• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plott Hound - I think I have one?

Urban

Picked her up while living in Colorado at an Animal Rescue. They called it a yellow lab/greyhound mix but had never heard of a Plott. Loyal as heck, climbs trees, even goes head underwater if she sees something she wants! She's been one of the best dogs I've known to be around... of course I could be a bit biased. I'd like to get her hunting but not sure if pheasant/duck are in her arsenal... any advice? (hopes the pics aren't too big...)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nti32dv7_8M/R_lbJGkdQbI/AAAAAAAAAqA/NmVcuVMYXw4/s1600-h/IMG_2356.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nti32dv7_8M/R6ZYV2cFrzI/AAAAAAAAAiw/_D7m0nwj57I/s1600-h/IMG_2141.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nti32dv7_8M/SDTxfyfE46I/AAAAAAAAAx0/T0GtMq_HiYQ/s1600-h/CRW_9958.jpg

Of all the hounds Plotts vary the most in size and body configuration as well as coloration. One thing about them all is they are hounds--they tend to bark on track--real open and they are tree dogs. They tend to be real hard to handle compared to something like a black lab. Some tend to have flag tails like your dog although your dog doesn't seem to have a real square houndy looking head--lots of 'em have rather short ears like your dog too. I had a plott hound that would occasionaly tree a grouse--he'd sit there and tree on it just like it was coon. Crazy thing was some partridge will sit there and let you shoot 'em just like a coon.

I'd say very little if any Plott hound in the dog. I would agree more with the lab/greyhound theory, pretty sure the greyhound side would be the cause for the brindle coloration. Sticks its head underwater? Sounds like my lab! Enjoy your dog and great job on adopting one from the shelter - I'm sure she's got a great home now!

kkahmann - Earlier this winter I was walking a bluetick into a section hoping to jump a yote. I flushed a grouse from up in a pine tree and that bugger didn't point but he had his nose in the air, tail wagging, and whining like he was rigging a coon in a tree.

I know what you mean Cooter--I had a solid red Plott that would throw dark brindle pups. Before I knew what a good rig dog was and I roaded that dog alot--he could flat cold trail a bear but he would bounce a grouse up a tree and then sit down and tree steady. 'Course our grouse up here are a whole lot tamer than yourn.

Plenty of info on the net--just google Plott Hound. I spent a pleasent afternoon many years ago visiting with Gola Fergason and I guided Taylor Crockett several times in Ontario. A good friend of mine sits on the board of directors for the American Plott Hound Association. You could PM me if you have specific questions.

The thing is there really isn't that much info on the net, mostly just the exact same thing over and over, very basic descriptions.

I'd really like someone to take a good look at the pics, ask some specific questions about her, and give us the best guess on whether or not she really could be a purebred plott.

Thanks in advance!

Does she whine a lot when tied up or otherwise restricted? Does she take off on you huntin when she is off leash? Is she open (bark) on track. Does she bark up a tree --at a squirrel for instance? Does she run the [PoorWordUsage] outta a deer? Can you call her back to ya anytime you want? Does she bark all the time? Has she ever treed a coon or house cat or killed a ground hog? Plott hound gonna do all these things plus several other things that will irratate you and she ain't coming home till she's good and ready. Was she twice as hard to housebreak as any other dog?

I'd say you got a greyhound crossed lab there but if she will trail and tree I'll change my mind.

Thanks for you questions!

Does she whine a lot when tied up or otherwise restricted? Does she take off on you huntin when she is off leash? Is she open (bark) on track. Does she bark up a tree --at a squirrel for instance? Does she run the [PoorWordUsage] outta a deer? Can you call her back to ya anytime you want? Does she bark all the time? Has she ever treed a coon or house cat or killed a ground hog? Plott hound gonna do all these things plus several other things that will irratate you and she ain't coming home till she's good and ready. Was she twice as hard to housebreak as any other dog?

I'd say you got a greyhound crossed lab there but if she will trail and tree I'll change my mind.

Whine? Yes when not "completely excercised" by that I mean 4 mile hike/bike/walk at the least!

Deer? Yes, the reason we just got a training collar (working wonders) as she chased a deer across a fairly busy highway, luckily we had a blaze orange jacket on her.

Squirrel? Loves to tree the squirrel and does a fantastic job of keeping track of it as it changes trees.

Barking? Not a ton, actually quite quiet. But, when she gets on the trail of something big, like a deer for instance she squeels in the highest pictch I've ever heard.

Killed? No, harmless and loving once she is near another 'house' animal. Loves to get a cat riled up, but won't harm it. Actually snuggled up to a litter of strays. Not sure what she would do if she caught a rabbit, or squirrel, she's been close but hasn't got one.

Come back? In Colorado (where we lived, and got her from a shelter -Glenwood Springs- she would occasionaly jump our fence and fire up a group of dogs to also jump the fences, they would then romp our little neighborhood and play a lot. Now, she is probably 2 years old and has become all business about hunting, not as much about playing when we are outdoors, always looking for something!

When she can see me, she listen perfectly. Super smart I would have to say.

She is great in the house, we got her aroun 10-14 months I'm guessing, though, already house trained.

She's almost two different dogs, lazy, cuddles, and sleeps a lot inside. But all business about endless energy outside.

I used to take this dog on 15 mile mountain bike rides in Colorado and it didn't phase her a bit.

I'm not a huge hunter, (mostly fishing, though when I mention the word 'fish' to her she will sit and stare and watch me fish for hours as long as I let her play with a litle one here and there) I would like to try pheasant with her.

She has an undercoat, & webbed feet. I've seen it stated it is possible for a Plott to have these things.

Oh and she seems to be fearless of the environment, like if I told her to jump off of a cliff with me into the water, she would. She'll climb a sideways/downed tree no matter how skinny it is. I'm pretty sure she'll suffer a broken leg or two in her lifetime if she keeps this up. She will also swim underwater if I put something she can see down there. Fetches well, loves to swim, ... I don't know crazy dog, but perfect for my lifestyle.

Unless a dog comes with papers its impossible to tell 100% for sure the exact breeding. I from the pictures i have seen I would say you probably have a mix along the lines of what you were told.

Regardless of my opinion it sounds like you already know that you have a great dog, what more do you need to know? If you want to try different activities with her I would say give it a shot and let her tell you what she can and can not do. From your description of her it sounds like she'll give it all a go.

Knowing the exact breed won't add or take away from the dog that she is. You just can't breed her as a pure bred Plott Hound, but without proper papers you wouldn't be able to anyways.

She won't be doing any breeding, Spaded. We get hounded by people every time we take her out in public, it would be nice to have an answer. Better yet, we could hang a sign off of her neck... or wear t-shirts that say "Our dog is a ____ ________" It is crazy how many people stop us to ask about our dog.

No papers or pedigree then your dog would be reffered to as a grade hound in the hound world. Papers can be doctored and that has happened more with Plott hounds than any of the other hound breeds. A lot of hounds don't like water. I gotta black and tan gyp here that can't swim a lick--if she can't wade it then she can't cross it. I've also got a walker gyp here that loves water and has swum the bay in front of my house several times--the bay here is a mile and half wide.

Greyhounds are sight hounds and generally have to see the game to chase it but most have a lot of drive to hunt and crossed with a lab might have enough nose to make a good hound.

Sounds like the dog suits ya so take her huntin--she'll show you what she can do. With hounds I firmly believe that it is more about genetics than it is training--I don't think there is a lot you can do to mess up a good hound and I don't think there is a lot you can do to help a sorry one.

If you want to call your dog a grade plott hound I sure won't object.

Funny we were discussing this as I just got a call this morning and I have been invited to the APA (American Plott Hound Asso.)

annual convention in Rock Hill, South Carolina in March. They want me to give an address on the history of the Plott hound and bear huntin in Canada.

I just got a call this morning and I have been invited to the APA (American Plott Hound Asso.)

annual convention in Rock Hill, South Carolina in March. They want me to give an address on the history of the Plott hound and bear huntin in Canada.

Congrats on your opportunity, please share any more info you gather while you prepare your address! My wife is convinced this is the type of dog she wants for a second dog in the near future... another reason I'm really trying to figure this out!