• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possible to convert console to tiller?

kenais

My dad is finally going to purchase a new boat and that means his old Alumacraft will be sold to me. Its a 17' classic deluxe side console with a 40hp Johnson. I would install new carpet and seats and was curious if anyone has converted a console to tiller. This boat would really benefit from the added space.

I would also look at extending the front deck and adding some under floor storage. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I know it is possible to do what you are thinking. If you do, be sure EVERYTHING meets Coast Guard standards. If you ever have an accident and they find anything that isn't right, you are liable and your insurance and you will have to pay if there is a lawsuit. I modified a boat once, had an accident, lost a buddy, and made his widow comfortable in her retirement at about 34.

There is no problem at all, just study well where to position the "driver" seat in the back, so it will be easy to maneuvre and steer.

I have a 1999 Sportfish Crestliner 1750 full windshield and I am removing everything to make it a tiller. I am downsizing my motor to 90hp instead of 120hp.

Did you buy a different motor?

I'd like to keep the same motor and add the tiller components. Is there a boat junk yard where I could get the parts? I confident I can work through the install, its finding the parts that may stop the swap.

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

You'll need to find a junked Johnson 40 hp (which shouldn't be too difficult.. it is/was a pretty popular motor) or buy a kit to convert the motor to be a tiller.

Oh, and it shouldn't be too much work to make the changes you're talking about... and you should be able to sell the console and make some money... there are usually more people looking to go the other way (from a tiller to a console) than the direction you're headed.

Good luck!

marine_man

The boat purchase is a done deal. I have a nice space to work in my garage so the boat rehab will start right away. I'll start calling the local dealers asking about a junk motor. If anyone wants to swap my console for a tiller or comes across a conversion kit let me know!

This is an interesting post, seeing I've thought about doing the same thing with my 1900 LE. What kind of problems would I run into? Looking at some pictures of a 1900 tiller, the seat base looks to be in the same place as mine is now. Anybody know what size tiller these boats were rated for? Mine is a 97' model. Maybe I'd be better to sell it and buy a new tiller boat only smaller. I would hate to get rid of it as nice of shape as it is for a 97. What do you guys think?

This is an interesting post, seeing I've thought about doing the same thing with my 1900 LE. What kind of problems would I run into? Looking at some pictures of a 1900 tiller, the seat base looks to be in the same place as mine is now. Anybody know what size tiller these boats were rated for? Mine is a 97' model. Maybe I'd be better to sell it and buy a new tiller boat only smaller. I would hate to get rid of it as nice of shape as it is for a 97. What do you guys think?

Suggestion: Leave the 1900LE alone and buy a dedicated tiller boat, if that's what you want. From my own experiences,when you say things like "I would hate to get rid of it as nice of shape as it is for a 97", you will not be the only one that thinks so and someone will pony up the cash for a boat that nice... Heck... I'd even be interested!! smirk

Leave the 1900LE alone and buy a dedicated tiller boat, if that's what you want. From my own experiences,when you say things like "I would hate to get rid of it as nice of shape as it is for a 97", you will not be the only one that thinks so and someone will pony up the cash for a boat that nice... Heck... I'd even be interested!! smirk

Good point, Moose-Hunter. Try to see if you can swap boats with somebody looking to do the opposite. It will be much easier and you will retain original boat value.

Otherwise I always seen tiller boats having smaller motor rating than equivalent with consoles.

I've also seen some 135hp, 150hp, and 175hp tillers, you have to use an special hydraulic stabilizer to keep motor in position. Just the torque holding a motor above 100hp will get you tired in a hurry

I don't know what the 1900 was rated for in a tiller model, but I would suspect that if you call lund at 218-385-2235 they'll be able to tell you. When it comes to historical type questions there usually you're best bet.

Also, when it comes to converting, a 17' Alumacraft Classic Deluxe is a whole lot easier than a 1900 Pro V... you could pull it off, but there'd be a whole lot more to it on the pro v getting the wiring in the right place, and you won't have all the built - in features of a dedicated tiller Pro-V.

My .02 cents.

marine_man