• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 questions for the Polaris experts (clutch, electric reverse)

kdawg

Bought a 04 600 xc sp, I noticed that when the clutch engages it makes a loud knock. I don't remember my 95 xcr doing that. Is this normal. It has 650 miles on it. Also, I went to use the reverse and it seemed to work fine the 1st 2 times I used it (it was plenty warmed up), the last time I tried to use it, it was sitting outside for 30 minutes after I put 75 miles on it this morning. Each time I hit the reverse button, it killed the engine. I tried it several times before I just got off the sled and pulled it backwards myself. Any thought, suggestions would be much appreciated.

My buddies Polaris sled is pretty sensitive to going into reverse unless its warmed up. He has found that it works better if its cold to use 1/2 choke.

The knock could be from... worn belt.....slack in the drive chain....or a loose track. Check and adjust all of these and your knock should disappear.

I would never move a sled unless its warmed up... the half choke thing would seem to be a good choice if your in a hurry. always remember that when putting a sled in reverse make the engine run backwards so its kinda of screwy for it also.. if the track is cold or froze on any part its going to kill when put into reverse...

KD, the clunk you hear is just the cam in the back clutch coming back into contact with the rollers. The early roller secondary clutches from Polaris were pretty notorious for making this noise. Nothing to worry about. As far as the reverse is concerned, like mentioned before make sure she's good and warmed up before using the reverse otherwise she'll kill on ya alot of the time. Just the way it is, the way the reverse works is that is actually kills the engine for a split second and starts the engine up running backwards. It's hilarious when people back up and then get distracted and forget to hit the button again to start the motor up forward again and then go to take off!! Not good for the windshield but always good for a laugh!! grin

Yea, my Polaris 550 Classic makes that clunk too, and everything I've found says not to worry. I can make it "not clunk" by accelerating a bit slower and more smoothly. Again, just to reitterate the same as above, with respect to going into reverse: it will "kill" for just a second as the engine reverses, but it should then "catch" and be ready to go backwards. Same upon switching to forward then.

The clunk happens on every secondary clutch attached to a Polaris with PERC. The helix used in the secondary clutch for machines with reverse has a knock out in it. This is so that when the belt starts going in revers, it doesn't just spread out the secondary and go nowhere. Instead, because of the knotch, the roller will stick into the knotch and not advance up the ramp of helix. When you shift from reverse to forward, the roller, which is now in the knotch, has to travel a few centimters to re-engange with the ramp on the helix. It is an awful sound, but perfectly normal.