• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glow Jigs for Crappies

blackdog1101

Do you ever feel like you're cheating when you tie on a glow jig at night? There's many times when it seems like it's just too easy to catch crappies with them. Red especially seems to catch them. I'm not suggesting they be rules out or anything, to each his own. I'm just wondering if there are others who feel like they eliminate some of the challenge. I've been going more to plain black at night. The jig will still have a good silhouette, but not glow. Or jigs with little flutter bladess on them to make some noise. Your thoughts?

Glow jigs do seem to make it alot easier, but it also seems harder to catch fish than it was ten-fifteen years ago. I remember going with my dad and always getting your limit or close of sunfish or crappies. We didn't have a vexilar, or aqua-vu. We also did not have glow hooks.

Do you ever feel like you're cheating when you tie on a glow jig at night? There's many times when it seems like it's just too easy to catch crappies with them. Red especially seems to catch them. I'm not suggesting they be rules out or anything, to each his own. I'm just wondering if there are others who feel like they eliminate some of the challenge. I've been going more to plain black at night. The jig will still have a good silhouette, but not glow. Or jigs with little flutter bladess on them to make some noise. Your thoughts?

This might be true at times, but the lake I am on this year it attracts them, but then they go away again, so I wouldnt take this to the extreme by saying it makes it EASY!

Sure you can catch thousands of potato chips on glow jigs, but I want to catch the bowl of dip! I want the whole guacamole! I target larger pannies, 11"+. I can almost guarantee you they arent as easy to catch, even on glows. It's almost like fishing for walleye. ALMOST.

There are times when glow is the ticket, and times when they wont hit glow, just like any other jig.

I think it is possible that big fish could learn over years to relate danger to glow and not bite after witnessing their missing buddies fly up out the water never to return after biting the glow. So who knows you could be putting the odds of a trophy in your favor by not using it.

Its all personal choice, if its working, use it! Definatly doesnt make it too easy, I have watched too many fish sniff and run from glow jigs, and all jigs for that matter.

I have not used glow jigs, but heard a lot about them lately. Im new to ice fishing and looking to pick up some tackle. I actually posted this thread under equipment area. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1712169/GloJig#Post1712169

Hey SStracker. I'm not familiar with the GLOJIG company you mentioned in your post, but there are several quality glow jigs. The hosts of this HSOforum offer several varieties in their Outdoor Pro Store link above, and they have good prices. I like Diamond Jig, Fiskas, and Gill Pill jigs, which I usually buy at Gander Mtn or Fleet Farm. For crappies I find that red/pink glow is especially effective.