• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington 750 Woodsmaster

Had one years back. Had jamming trouble. Look at the Winchester sxr rifle. I just bought a new Browning shortrack but it was almost a toss up between them. Look at Joes sporting goods in little canada they had the best price I could find.

The 750 is only a couple years old, you might be thinking of the older versions. They have supposedly gotten better. My dad has an old 742 from at least the early 60's that he never cleans and never has a problem with, though he is the type that shoots a couple rounds before the season and only needs a couple rounds for the season to kill his deer. I think the worst version was the 7400 which was between the two.

I just helped my dad pick one out about a month ago. He had a 7400 and just upgraded to a new one. He had known he wanted a new rifle and after shooting my 700 after I filled my tags this years he decided not to give up the semi auto. So we started looking at the options for a semi. There is really only four: Benelli R1, Browning BAR, Winchester, and the 750. I have heard some terrible things about the R1, I don't know if any of them are true but it still ruled that out. The BAR didn't seem to fit me or my dad at all, we didn't like the shape of the stock. The winchester felt ok but we really didn't know much about it. My dad decided on a synthetic 750 in a .270. It has been such bad weather since he bought it he has not got a chance to shoot it yet, but if works as good as his 7400 he will be in good shape.

I've owned a 742 (742 & 7400 pre-cursors to the model ur looking at) since I started hunting. Never clean it, never jams. I've shot a lot of military surplus rounds out of it, and ran the 15 rd clips rapid fire when I was younger dinkin around. I'd say it's a great MN woods deer rifle. If you plan on doing any distance shooting or going out west, I'd go with a bolt though. Once it gets out to 300 yds+, she starts getting sloppy. My dad has shot 2 moose with his, and our hunting party has probably taken 30+ deer over the years with 742's and 7400's, never had a jam. I have heard some horror stories about these guns, but the 4 that we've shot have been very reliable.