• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How are the Phesants doing?

Well, it certainly hasn't been the best of weather so far for the phesants this winter, has anyone noticed winterkill already? I'm planning on braving the snowdrifts new years day to see if I can't shoot a few roosters around the Enderlin/ Lisbon/Lidgerwood area. Last time I was out was during our first major snowfall, and we slaughtered em. Hopefully the birds are weathering the snow and wind better than I am.

That's for sure... the -33 temp this morning isn't helping much either...

I haven't seen too much for winterkill, but things are stacking up in that direction - another 10" of snow yesterday...

By the way... what's the story on the fish in your avatar? Nice!

Happy New Year!

marine_man

Haha, the fish on my avitar I wish was from this year, but was last winter on L.O.W. A 29.5 inch pig though. Wish I would've had a scale, as she was the fattest fish I've caught, but wanted to get her back in the water. Last weeks trip to L.O.W. was a huge dissapointment. Should've been there the week before. I think last year was the year of big eyes for me, as this year is shaping up for the year of the fish fry's.

I'll report what I find for phesants after I get out there; hopefully not finding too many dead birds in the cover.

Was out today, and didn't find any winter kill yet. Here in NW Dakota, there isn't a lot of snow but starting to fill in a little. Birds were out feeding all day. Might be a storm coming. They are bunched up a lot more than they were a week ago. Hopefully they will survive well, and we will have another record year.

I was in SE ND to visit family this past weekend. I don't think this winter will fair well for the pheasants, most of the sloughs are blown in with snow and that was before the 10 inches of snow on Tues. I was going to go out for a day or two but didn't want to bust through the snow. I'm trying to be an optimist but it will be difficult for the birds in this area, this much snow in December isn't good. I had heard it was the most snow for the month of Dec in Fargo for the 81 yrs. they've been keeping records.

Most snow on record for the month of December in Fargo. More snow in main SE ND Pheasant region. I believe 5th coldest December on record to boot.

Correct, sloughs are filled with snow. LARGE sloughs with nearby standing corn / sun flower food plots will be the main areas will pheasant will attempt to make it through this winter.

Pheasants in margin habitat will be gone soon..

Last real tough winter was 96 - 97. This year is not as bad, yet...

The issue this year will be loss of CRP for those pheasants that make it. The sloughs will be overflowing, thus not much area to nest there either....

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier. Here's my report.

I got out to SE North Dakota on Friday for some pheasant hunting. Like the other reports, there is very little cover for the pheasants right now. The sloughs are litereally filled to the top in most locations. I can not believe the lack of cover right now. The few sloughs we did walk had roughly thigh to waist high snow, needless to say I got a great workout. We shot 3 roosters, jumped many hens. Most of the birds were out in the middle of the blown fields all day long. I bet we saw 700+ birds. Just amazing.

I'm not optimistic about next year's birds. For the lack of cover, and difficulty to get to the food, it's going to be a tough one for them. Then factor in a wet spring which we will likely have, and that will make it even worse.

I guess one positive thing is that the crops of the roosters we shot were all completely full with soybeans and corn.

We were just out there as well in Lehr, ND. I could not believe the amount of birds we saw out there. They were EVERYWHERE, and real easy to spot as well.

Too bad we were on a fishing trip and didn't make it a combo fishing/hunting trip. The fishing was lousy, right along with the weather.

Was out looking around, and the birds are ding well if there are Pea feilds close. Those feilds are cut short, so the wind blows them cleaner. Where the is tall stubble, I think the birds are going to suffer. All the cat tail sloughs are blown full, so they will have a tuffer time getting out of the weather. We are gettting a bunch more snow today, and it is raining in the NW part of Montana, so that will be a killer if it comes here.