• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flashabou? where to get it ??

Rmac

I just started tying some of my own bucktails this year and of course I have been trying to tie some of the popular Double Cowgirl style that use the flashabou.

My question is, where is the best place to purchase this stuff? I got some from our favorite musky/fly shop in the nw metro and was disgusted with the price and the amount that actually came in the packages. The quantity of flashabou seemed to vary from pack to pack, but with the magnum stuff you need like 3 packs to tie one bucktail. I don't mean to rant, but is there any other places to find this stuff. Or is it bundled differently, the way they have it now you would swear it's made of real gold.

I should add that I have looked at other tackle shops and fishing specific outfits and they seem to be equally as ridiculous. I am just wondering if you can buy it in a role or something. Instead of 25 pieces of 8" tinsel for $6.00.

check out janns- netcraft, i get all my fly tying mat. from there and seems fairly priced. they have a wide variety of different kinds in every color imaginable. for example 375 strands of 8" glow flashabou runs $3.85, holographic flashabou same qty. same price. looks like everything in thier catalog is piced about the same. pice does not reflect shipping. shipping costs vary depending how much you spend. under $20.00 is $6.50 for standard shipping. gander mountain also caries some tying material. can't recall what i spent though.

I know that Mad River Fly Tying Materials in Central NY carries in packages and bulk every color of flashabou made in glow, metallic, as well as holographic colors. I have seen it in most of the fly shops and sporting goods stores in New York

Thanks for the replies. I did check out Janns netcraft, those prices are a little more reasonable. I am just leary of ordering it online because I don't want a pack with 25 strands to show up on my door step. One of the packs I bought the other day had 8" pieces and couldn't have had more than 30 strands in it.

The 20" lengths would be much better.

Thanks again for the help.