• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

T Zone Hunts

How's the hunt going for you guys? I wasn't planning on hunting T zone doe only hunt, but a friend called Friday and asked if I'd like to hunt his land with him, I accepted. The area we hunted was in Shawno County, Wittenberg/Birnamwood Wi.. Saturday was a beautiful morning. I was dropped off at my stand at 6am. The stand was a ground blind. An intersection of 2 logging roads and 2 cut out shooting lanes through a swamp. At 6:50am after just looking down an empty lane, I looked up to see a deer standing in the previously empty lane. A nice 8 point buck stareing at me. A shot like this normally wouldn't present itself if bucks were allowed, Murphy's law at play. Several shots around me kept my anticipation level high. At 9:10am I heard a branch snap. Not just a little one, but one that would've taken a little bit of weight to break. I immediatly was in the "ready mode" knowing that whatever it was would have to cross one of the trails in front of me. A couple of minutes later I looked up to see a big doe standing broadside in the shooting lane. I went to my iron sights first. The deer had a couple smaller trees in front of her which I would've had to shoot inbetween, risky. I went to my scope, still a little to risky of a shot. The head and neck were exposed to the open. At 35 yards the neck is still a large target area, so I placed my open sights on the base of the head/neck and squeezed one off. The deer dropped like rock. While field dressing the deer I heard a bunch of branches breaking, I grabbed my rifle in time to see 2 deer crossing the trail, I held my sights on the trail and a nice doe stepped out. The deer was about 75 yds. away. I set the cross hairs on the chest and fired. The deer ran into the woods and I heard it thrashing about breaking branches. I walked up to the spot that I thought the deer was standing. I found a little hair, but no blood. Trailing deer without the aid of snow sucks! Being colored blind also sucks! I walked in to the woods in the direction that the deer went, 40 yds later I found her dead. The shot was well placed in the lungs. 3 1/2 hours of hunting, seen several deer, and filled 2 tags. smile.gif Bring on the November antlered deer season! I'm pumped now! Backstraps, fried potatos, and corn on the cob for breakfast today. mmm good!
------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-15-2003).]

t-zone isn't just for private land - check out public land in your area. there is a second t-zone season in december, but only in the southern zone (south of highway 8). i guess the snowmobilers didn't like riding their sleds and wearing blaze orange!! anyway, give it a try. its a pretty effective way to control deer herd populations. kind of a different mentality though - you have to keep telling yourself "don't shoot bucks".

------------------
Dan in Webster
Campion Log Works

Imagoinfishin, You're right next to a t-zone area. Unit 46. North of hwy 29, south of hwy 64, east of the Wisconsin River(not hwy 51), and west of hwy 45. Lots of public land out there, county and forest crop. I know of a great spot to get some venison....My freezer! grin.gif Butchered up mine last night, steaks and sausage meat. I'll probably make sausage or "something" in the next couple of weeks. Looking at some different ideas other than the same old summer sausage, sticks, and jerky. Drop me a line and you can come pick some up. If you want to hunt the regular deer season let me know. I'll probably have an extra stand for you. Openers I hunt my "preserve", after that I hunt out at Leather Camp forest unit off hwy 153. Without hunters pushing my land the deer wont move. Leather Camp is sort of like a circus...A lot of clowns! grin.gif Two years ago a guy shot his foot! Bicycles, wheelbarrows, large hunting partys of 10+, you name it it's there.. And there best attribute? THEY CAN'T SIT STILL! Grab an intersection of 2 or more logging roads and sit. It usually only takes a few hours to fill doe tags if you sit. It's funny to listen to everyones same old story, "I kicked up a couple while walking through that swamp, all I seen were tails". Well buddy take a look at the rest of it! PS: You better study up on those regulations, there will be a test on them before we go hunting! smile.gif You can then call yourself, Imagoinhunting.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck