• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

walleyes on the wisconsin

Well it's been six days and no replies.Did anyone see this or didn't anyone fish the wisconsin lately?I'm really curious cuz I've only caught a few walleye in my life time and none of them were keepers.The only keepers i seen were the people i went fishing with, they would catch the keepers but none for me except baby walleye.

That river is full of small walleye! I've caught a hundred fish in a day without ever getting a legal 15" fish. It really sucks when they're swallowing the baits too. The areas below the dams should work, Mosinee, Moon, DuBay, etc. Jigging, 3 way rigs, or slip sinker rigs baited with minnows should do the trick. Sometimes it's tough to get "localized" info specific to areas in Wi.. You can throw it out there and see what happens. Hopefully you'll find someone who fishes those areas in question. Now ask about MN., and that's a different story! However, info about the hows, whys, whats, and whens of outdoor related topics will usually get you an answer. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-06-2003).]

Imgoingfishing, Your not that far from the Mississippi and the bite is hot right now. Lots of good sized walleye being taken. If you don't know the mississippi the dams are a good place to start. Vertical jigging with jig/minnow combos is working very well. Trolling cranks is also working. I fished the dam at genoa and down river. Dresbach was also hot over the weekend.

Fishing is Life.

I could never understand one thing, the fish in the Wi. River are always small. I keep thinking that the 14"ers will be 15" next year. Than I can catch a hundred fish that size, but it never happens. So many small fish that never seem to grow! There must be other reasons why legal fish are so hard to catch, other than "they never grow up". Heck, in the last couple of years I've watched the walleye on Red Lake Mn. grow a couple inches each year. Because of the stocking that was done on given years there, the growth of certain year classes of fish can be observed. And Man! Do they grow quick up there! I dont understand how soooo many walleye 14 inches never seem to make it to 15". confused.gif On another note in regards to the post about the Mississippi, is that pretty much a year round open water fishery? Mainly dam and current areas?

------------------

Canitbeluck, The main channel freezes tight most every year, Late December thru March. With a couple exceptions, power plants hot water discharge areas and directly below the dams. At times getting access to the open water involves pushing a boat across the ice and dropping it in. I've done it a couple times and didn't care for the experience. Way to much risk for a few fish. Most years the main channel freezes enough to allow ice fishing. I can't wait for that.

Fishing is Life.

Canitbeluck I think I may know why them 14"ers dont grow to be 15".I think everyone else might be using a different tape measure than what we are using!!!That's the only thing i can think of why that would be.Maybe we should ask to use someone elses tape when we catch them 14's.bodyman thanks for the info but I wont be able to make it there due to my parents anniversary party this weekend and the following two weeks are out of the question due to hunting season but I will remember that for the next time I can make it.

[This message has been edited by imgoingfishing (edited 11-12-2003).]

[This message has been edited by imgoingfishing (edited 11-12-2003).]

The Wisconsin is a funny river. Like you guys have said at times it's a total dink fest. If you find yourself in amongst the small fish like that it's time to move. Too many times guys plop the anchor out and sit in one place hoping bigger fish will come along. Somtimes they ( The bigger fish )do but your usualy low on bait by then. LOL
By moving I mean more than once or twice. If you gotta move 20 times or more then so be it. Move until you find the bigger fish. They ARE there. I used to be a sit in a few places and fish type dude too till a few years ago a buddy showed me how he does it. After a few hours we had 7 fish from 16 to 24" while most fishermen were pulling in dinks one after another. Have done that a few times since then and I'm a believer. BTW , We fished the Prarrie Du Sac dam.
Once you've found the fish you want cast cast cast both plastics and jig/minnow combos. When you think you've covered a spot pretty good then cast some more. Gotta remember that these fish have seen a LOT of jigs and rigs all summer long so you gotta darn near smack em in the mouth to get em to bite it seems. When you've worked an area over good then pull anchor and move about 20 - 30 yards and start over.
Another thing is to change the size and color of your plastics. If your tossing 3" orange tails for instance after a while toss 2" white tails. You would be suprised at how often you'll get bit on the first or second cast once you make a color/size change.
Unfortunately I hav'nt been able to hit the Wisconsin this fall due to work etc so I can't say how the bite is right now. In years past I have done real well on into mid December and I'd bet the farm a guy could do well now too. Once I get laid off for the winter I'll be there weather permitting.

A good color plastic to try at the Sac dam is the orange/green Berkley power bait in both 2 and 3" sizes. For some odd reason tossing rainbow colored ( pink,blue,yellow ) fireball jigheads with a minnow stuck on it seem to turn these fish on too at times. Some of our biggest fish have come on these. Just a fluke perhaps but then again , maybe not ? Dunno but worth trying.

When casting jig/minnows or plastics you want to keep your jig skipping along the bottom. If your bouncing off rocks and snag from time to time your doing it right. Try and cast across the current and let it help sweep your jig along. If you snag too much go with a lighter jig. If your not hitting bottom then go heavier. 1/4oz seems to be a good weight. It also seems if you fish deep say 30 foot + your more than likely to get into dinks. Try it for a while but move if you don't conect with bigger fish.

Remeber that the size and limits have changed below the dams on the lower Wisconsin so find out what they are before you head out.

Hope this helps !

GEEMAN, very good info. All very useful tips and advise! The locations that we've been refering to is around the Wausau and Mosinee area. As the river flows south, it gains in size. I'm thinking the fish would also. Fishing the Nekoosa area I've noticed larger walleye and many more catfish. White bass are very plentiful, a fish that isn't even seen around Wausau. All this in just a 50 mile differance. I can imagine the fishing is pretty good around your area. I've heard of some quality fish being taken in the Petenwell and Castle Rock lakes as well. I visited your web site and found it very entertaining. I spent more time than I intended browseing around in your different sites. smile.gif Chetek Lake bluegills, I'll have to keep this in mind as I pass enroute to MN. grin.gif Good Fishin, Can it be Luck?

------------------

Nothing wrong with the taste of the fish that I've caught out of the Wisconsin. Time was that bad taste/smell were an issue but I hav'nt heard or experienced it myself. Pollutants ? Probably to some extent but there are'nt too many waters that don't have some issues with pollutants. I'm not saying " So what ? " but it's just the way it is with many boddies of water we fish.
I read the advisories and go from there. A little common sense ( to eat potentialy contaminated fish in moderation OR not at all )goes a long way in that dept.
To tell the truth if sombody REALLY studdied up then reported on what polutants etc. are in our lakes and rivers we'd probably all give up eating fish. Pollutants are'nt just a problem in waters near industry either.
Look how many lakes up north have Mercury advisories as the result of coal burning industries located in some cases 100 + miles away ? Seems more and more lakes are added to that list annualy. Just like the CWD problem in SW Wisconsin. People act like CWD is a NEW thing. WHO KNOWS how long that's been around ? I'd bet a LOT longer than most including the experts suspect. Who knows what other ailments , parasites or other dump wild game/fish carry yet we eat it anyways none the wiser ?
Fishing/hunting = BIG $ so I kinda wonder at these reports. Are we getting the whole truth ? Dunno but all a guy can do is read the advisories and go from there. So far I hav'nt read anything that would scare me away from the ocasional meal of Walleyes out of the Wisconsin. Don't think I'd eat em 3 times a day 7 days a week but a couple meals a year don't worry me in the least.

Sorry I got a little long winded here !

CIBL , Like any place , fishing the lower WI can be great or just plain suck. Surely there's a larger variety and perhaps numbers of fish but I'd bet there's some decent sized fish upstream too. With size comes crowds too down here. Combat fishing in the spring here aint for me ! THAT more than anything keeps me off the WI and other popular waters at peak times of the year.
I live about 10 minutes from the Rock River and pretty much stick to it the Bark and Crawfish rivers. There's a fairly good fall bite on the Rock each year though this year it seems to be a little slow. Due to work I hav'nt fished it or anywhere much at all this summer/fall = sucks !

There's gotta be some good fishin up your way though eh ? I'd think if a guy had a small Jon boat he could throw in the back of his truck he could do quite well up your way. I just bought an old beater 12' Jon to fish spots not even my 14'er can get to down here. Due to the drought the water level is WAY low here and there are good spots that hav'nt seen an angler since last spring as a result. Makes me nuts every time I think about all those fish waiting for someone to come catch em. LOL

I sure do love eating those 5 eyed glowsti....I mean WI. River walleyes. grin.gif Someone will always tell you that something is "bad" for you. Whether it be eggs, fat, sugar, sitting too close to the tv, lawn jarts, or even polluted walleye. smile.gif I will never eat them 7 days a week though....only because legal 15 inchers are hard to find! As far as taste? Tastes great! Less filling too, especially with the lack of keepers. smile.gif On the topic of polluted fish, at times, people that are too healthy, are the first ones to get sick. You've heard the saying, use it or lose it. This can pertain to the immune system as well. The immune system needs to "exercise" fighting germs, bacterias, viruses, and even polluted walleye. smile.gif Don't quote me, but multiple sclerosis is linked to the immmune system. The body has nothing to attack, so it attacks itself. Fisherman are healthy people. Although they wont eat food that's been dropped on the kitchen floor, a piece of summer sausage, or any food that happens to fall on the ice shack floor is wiped off then eaten. Ever notice that when you're outdoors?......GEEMAN, the fishing is great all up and down the river. Tha annual spring run walleye fishing below several dams as well as the river itself can draw huge crowds. Several large lakes/flowages are found on most towns that logged and milled on the river, and continue to today. North of Merrill the river starts to get smaller. The smallmouth bass fishing here can be great! Shallow and rocky, a canoe works well. The stretch between Brokaw and Merrill has some tremendous musky fishing as well as other fish. Around Wausau and south of Wausau the river and flowages are big, so all size boats can work here. Like most rivers and flowages, water hazards are common. Care needs to be used when navigating the river channel. The river provides year round fishing which is almost always decent. The walleye numbers are way high, but in the 35 odd years I fished it, the walleyes never seem to make it past that 15" mark. Sure you'll catch some, but you'd think there would be more. Oh well, maybe next year. PS: I also get long winded.

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 11-24-2003).]

CIBL , Food on the floor ? Wipe er off and down the hatch ! LOL

At one time pollution from the paper mills upstream left the Walleyes in Petenwell tasting like dump and smelling like sulfer. Not a chance a guy could choke one of those things down. As a result people basicaly stopped fishing Petenwel. That went on for some years and the fish grew in numbers and size. Up until about 6 years ago you could go icefish Petenwell on a Sat and only see 30 - 40 other people.
Anyhow , during those low fishing pressure years the paper mills cleaned up thier act and the bad tasting fish problem really became less common. In fact I don't even remember cooking a walleye out of there that was bad tasting/smelling. Funny thing is most people never realized that the fish were not bad tasting and still stayed away. Some great fishing during that time in both numbers and size.
Along comes John Gilespe sp ? who started doing fishing shows on the Pete. Word got out that the fish tasted ok and the hoards started to come back. Last time I was to Pete the winter before last there were at least 2500 dudes out there fishing. I think I caught 2 under sized Walleyes some Wipebass , and a few mauler Crappies and that was it. Before the crowds came back 50 + Walleye days were pretty much a given. Limits could be had in no time. Not any more. I mean surely there are spots out there where a guy could clean house on Walleyes but NOTHING like it used to be.

I still see on some Petenwel threads where locals are saying the fish still smell/taste bad. Perhaps some fish do still taste bad but not like it used to be. I know for a fact that some locals post that the fish are still bad because they don't like the crowds that now invade Pete. I can't blame them for resenting the invasion either.
Perhaps there is a problem with heavy metals and PCBs yet but as far as bad tasting ? I've never run across that in the fish I've kept out of Pete , The Dells or Prarrie Du Sac. I've only fished Castle Rock once with no keepers so can't say about the fish out of that body of water.

As far as the river goes I don't know why it is a guy catches so many small walleyes at times on the WI. It happens on the Rock River too. I think it's more the spot, timing and fishing pressure more than anything. Seems the more pressure a spot gets the smaller the fish get. I mean sure many of the bigger fish get caught and kept but does that mean all the keeprs have been caught ? I don't belive that for a second. Guys that fish down here say there are'nt many bigger/keeper Walleyes left in the Rock River yet talk to the Carp netters who net Carp out of Koshkonong and they say there are TONS of bigger fish in the system. They ought to know as they net large numbers of them ( Walleyes etc ) while netting Carp. I'm sure the same holds true for the Wisconsin too. These bigger fish are there but doing somthing different than the smaller fish. It's up to the individual to find out what exactly that is. Guess that's why they call it fishing eh ? LOL

Nice pics on your site BTW. I see I'm not the only one to have dropped a 3 legged buck. How much ripping did you get for shooting that one ? I got PLENTY for popping mine ! LOL

Yea, I heard a few remarks about shooting the 3 legged deer. I couldn't really make out what they were saying, talking between mouthfuls of tenderloins! "You shot a 3-leg, munch, munch, swallow, munch, I would never, munch, munch....Ahhh, stop babbling and pass the salt! grin.gif That John Gillespe sure does know how to exploit a fishing spot, doesn't he? I was "victim" to one of his shows. Ice fishing browns, I think it was Sheboygan. There were so many people that showed up, I thought we'd have to fish 2 lines per hole!! Everyone of us first timers and feeling a bit foolish for trying to cash in on a few browns like the "one" John caught on the show. Everyone set up exactly the same, same bait, everything....Just like John. smile.gif After seeing one northern caught all day, the feeling amongst the crowd was mutual. That John is full of Crappie!! In John's defense, 25% of the WI. fishing population showed up that day. I had said before, The northern probably was snagged running the gauntlet of lines! grin.gif You know, that 3 legged deer was a tough old deer. It's leg healed and caloused(sp?) over at the joint. Scars and broken points as well as a strong body, that deer made up for it's handicap by being able to adapt and overcome. Tomorrow it's off to N. Dakota hunting pheasant for 5 days. The snow should have them bunched up. Later. can it be luck?

------------------