• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5 Spot league

bowhunterrj

This is my first year shooting any type of league so I have a few questions for ya veteran shooters. My setup is a Mathews dxt with sigle pin slide site and a whiker biskut carbon express maximas fletched with blazers. My question is should I replace the biskut with some sort of fall away or prong style rest i have a couple year old vital bow gear fall away that I can put on or should I purchase something different. I am shooting in the bowhunter class. Any tips on equiptment would be gratly appreciated.

Indoor shooting with a WB and blazer vanes should not be a problem. I'd be more concerned hunting with that set up.

If you had any thoughts about shooting state, then the movable site is not allowed in the Bowhunter division, otherwise if you're comfortable shooting what you've got, then go for it.

WB and blazer vanes are a fantastic combination out for my hunting bow...have never found a different combo that has worked better actually and I've tested plenty. Just goes to show that there is nothing "cookie cutter" about archery!

If you want your scores shooting 300 rounds to get better I would take the WB off and shoot a drop away or a prong stlye. No contact with anything once the arrow is released is best IMO. You can use your slide style sight you just can't adjust the pin after your 10 warm up shots if you are shooting a tourney in the BH class. So once you are sighted in crank it tight. Also your stabilizer can not go past 12 inches from the riser. Doesn't matter what you do if you are just shooting league. As far as the arrows go use what you have if they fly good till you get into it more. Then maybe move up to a bigger arrow with 5 inch vanes for more forgiveness. If you are shooting a one spot target and hammering the bullseye you will want to switch to the 5 spot. Robin hoods are nice but they can be spendy also! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the info guys. I will try my setup for now and if it doesn't work, I will be back to the archery shop. This is my fifth different bow with a biskut and balzers and so far I have no complaints about hunting or 3-d shooting with them.Might go shoot a practice round in the morning so they cam establish a handicap for me before the league starts. As for state what does it take to qualify. I don't think that I am at that caliber but it would be fun. Thanks Again

Most likely you will establish your scoring starting the first night of league. Normally leauge shoots go around 85 %. So say you shoot a 270 the first night your game average will be 90. This will change of course weekly depending on if you shoot better or worse or the same the following week. If you shoot say a 300 average his or her game is 100 so 85% of 100 minus 90 would be 8.5 rounded down to 8. You would get 8 points per game shooting this person. Also you can't shoot over 100 so if your average is 90 and say you shoot a 96 and get 8 points 100 is as high as you can go. 2 or 3 or 4 person teams just add it all up. 1 point for each game and one for total so 4 points each night. As far as state goes you just shoot the regional shoot in feb or march and you get put into brackets so everybody shoots against people who shoot close to the same. Guaranteed fun if you go. Lottsa great shooters in MN! Hope this helps.

Went and shot a practice round this morning. It didn't go too bad shot a 441 out of 480 possible. Started out with the vegas style target and shot 48 arrows and scored 10-9-8-7-6-. For my first round I don't think it was too bad but definately could do better.The pressure will begin when there is 20 or so people behind me. Thanks again for the help.

We decided to shoot 48 for league instead of thirty just because some people have to drive some distance so why not get more practice. One problem I had today was seeing my arrow in the target. When I shot a couple at the 5-spot targets I could see them but in the vegas I could not. Is there a color combination that realy seems to stand out. Right now I was shooting 2 white 1 black with white wraps and clear nocks thanks.

Don't think about seeing your arrow in the target. Just aim thru the shot and let the arrow hide in the bullseye. grin

The darker the better if you want to see it in the yellow or white. 60 shots for regular 300 rounds and that's what they do at state. Too bad they shoot vegas. Still fun fkingin arrows!

When I used to shoot league and compete I carried a set of binoculars on my hip. That way you can see where your arrows are. I couldn't wait to know how many X's I had. I gave up the leagues and competition, shooting three days a week and matches on weekends was too much. I swear I have some sort of compulsive disorder, fishing, hunting, etc... Now it is much more relaxing to shoot but the fundamentals are still there.

The drop away rest is the way to go as well as an adjustable sight with a single pin. I had much better luck using a non-fiber optic for shooting indoors. Depending on your goals for shooting, practice for hunting or true competition, changing to a back tension style release helps alot too.

Good luck and go for 360.