• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Studding tires

dogs

Anyone put some kind of screws in ATV tires to act as studs? thinking about it the filling tires with slime after screw some short sheet metal screws in. But was thinking how well screws would hold?

thanks dogs

Not sure how long they will hold, but I have put some short sheet metal screws into the lugs before and it worked very good on the ice, plus they are cheap. Slime works for some things, but I try to avoid it because it makes a huge mess if you want new tires. Also, make sure you put some screws in the front tires also, so you can steer.

I bought a huge lot of sheet metal screws (studs) from Dennis Kirk few years ago. There's enough in there to last for quite a few years. I've been putting them in my tire lugs for the past three years. They work GREAT! You'll need to replace them every year because they get worn down.

The thing I like about the studs is that you can ride full throttle across the lake and not have to worry about tire chains breaking and shreading up your fenders.

You will want to put them in all four tires.

No more studs this year, I bought tracks for my wheeler.

KC

I put screws in my dirt bike tires and it was unreal the traction that thing had! On frozen dirt it was unreal! Studs dont last long on dirt though. I think im going to try it on my Vampires this winter.

hahahha!!

I'll place some pics on here soon. If I can figure it out?

I bought the new model of the Prospectors. They are made specifically for Polaris.

You really don't lose any horse power, but you do lose top end speed. Going through about 10" of powder this weekend, I could get about 40-45 mph. Now I think on hard pack it should be much better.

I bought them from Hitching Post (Hopkins)

KC