• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

chequamegon bay salmonoid help

Hey all:

Been looking to get in on trout/salmon through the ice on chequamegon. Have equipment and experience but no local knowledge. Thinking about getting out there one day next week and would like some help.

So I'd like to know if the ice is driveable and where to target the trout/salmon. I have all the usual walleye/pike lures and a bunch of lake trout tackle as well.

I don't need to be led by the nose, just looking for enough info to give me a good direction.

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I'm not an expert on the bay but weve done well this time of year by the onion and sioux rivers north of washburn on hwy 13. usually 25 to 30 fow. moving around until you start to catch some fish. It can be really hit and miss so if you do land a couple of fish stick with that spot a while. Jigging or a slip bobber with an emerald shiner will both work well. I was down there twice earlier in the season not sure of ice conditions now. Hope that helps

normaly you dont see any vehicle traffic (other than atv or snowmobile) by the sioux or onion. they do drive vehicles on the ashland side from the park next to the ore dock right in town fishing can be good on that side of the bay also. you pretty much fish it the same way.

Steve,
There is a parking area right next to the Onion river. You can walk out from there, its not that far to fishable water (30-40'). For current conditions for that side of the bay I would contact outdoor allure, they are also at outdoorallure dot com. I've fished there a couple of times in years past and caught some splake on pimples/shiner head.
Xplorer