• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing for Walleye

Hey guys, I got a question for all you walleye fishermen. I normally ice fish only for panfish, but this year am thinking about trying for walleye a couple times. So I have a few questions. First, what is your favorite bait/lure to use for walleye when icefishing? Second, what size line do you usually use for walleye? And third, (I know this differs by lake/river) what time of the day do you usually catch the most walleyes? When fishing in the summer I usually catch walleyes by accident right around dusk but I don't know if it differs much in winter. I also hear a lot of people talk about going nightfishing for walleyes, is there a certain time of night that's best or is it pretty much the same throughout the night? I'm pretty skilled in fishing for gills, crappie, and perch, but am definitely a rookie when it comes to walleye so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

roofifsher,

I like the Angel eye made by Scenic Tackle, found here on this site and the NOrthland Buckshot spoon for walleye fishing.

I prefer 6 pound mono - Trilene Xl.

Yes, depending on the body of water the bite can happen at varied times of day, relating to weather and low light.

Generally, evening has been the best for me.

I have spent quite a few outings fishing the Turtle Flambeau near PArk Falls. This has a unique walleye fishery.

We discovered an unusual bite. There would be a dusk bite, then it would shut off, returning an hour or so later running until about 8:00pm.

SO it does matter what body of water you are fishing on.

Plus, tip-ups were the key on the flowage. They didn't like jigging presentations any where as much!

Time to spend some time learning on the water as well!

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

The bite depends on the body of water for sure. On Koshkanong fish can bite anytime day or night but just before dark and an hour after are best on average.Bigger Eyes almost always seem to come after midnight to just before sunup on that lake though. That lake can get pretty busy during the day so maybe it just takes that long for the bigger fish to mellow out ?
Most lakes around here they can bite just about anytime in general.
If I had to pick one time frame to fish it would deffinately be the evening bite.

I don't jig too much other than the ocasinal jiggin rap , Cicada even a Rattle Trap from time to time but I tipup fish a lot. #6 trilene leader as a rule. I add a bead or beads to the line above the hook for a splash of color. I've also had luck using a solid brass bead instead of a splitshot for weight. Just thread it on the line and rest atop the hook eye. I usualy have a jig pole hangin a minnow under an icebuster bobber too. On certain nights the jig pole out fishes the boards hands down. Having the lantern or other light source near the hole may be the reason why ?

I guess if I was to fish new waters I'd ask around to the local baitshops on what's what.

Having been here only for about a year and a half, I'm new to the walleyes-with-tipups game, but I'm learning.

For jigging, I just use Trilene XL 6 lb. Favorite lures are the jigging Rap or Nils Master Jigger Shad, both full-sized and Jr, and the Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoon or a Swedish Pimple. On Rap, add minnow head to treble, same on spoons.

Then my second line is always a dead stick or a bobber with a live minnow hooked through the back with a small glow jig.

Eyes that are attracted to the jigging but aren't aggressive take the live minnow, which struggles against the jig but can't swim around much.

Dusk and into the first hour of dark is, as a rule, the best walleye time. They can see quite well in low light, while the perch they so often feed on can't.

Have a blast! grin.gif

I fish Superior Harbor off of Minnesota Point through the ice for walters and we usuallydo pretty well. We usually vertical jig with swedish pimples or jigging rapalas tipped with a shiner head and also set a line with a bobber and a glo hook with a shiner.
The bite sometimes will go all day or it can be spotty but no real time of day, I think because of the dark waterin the harbor.
I noticed this morning that there was a ship moored at the dock behind the mcdonalds on east Second St.so that means that the ice will be screwed up for awhile. I guess I,ll just have to fish Kimballs.

GOOD LUCK AND FISH SAFE!

What's the best way to get into Kimball's?

And the road to McClure's should be open. I'll check it on the way to work. I talked to a Superior city clerk who said they kept the road closed until it froze up and deer season was over. Season was over Sunday, and with the cold weather the road's probably frozen.

Anybody been on Kimball's yet?

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-03-2002).]

To get to Kimballs you take billings drive to badger , take a right on badger and go about a 1/4 mile and you will see the lot on the left side of the road.
I'm looking at going down there this weekend or maybe to the Gordon Flowage out in front of Tuversons for northerns and bass