• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Calling all Wisconsin info

Hey all:

Know anything about Northwestern Wisconsin fishing/ice fishing, or anywhere else in Wisconsin, for that matter?

Want to share that knowledge?

Since Rick's made a good joke and says I'm field staff for this site, help me learn enough about NW Wisconsin to really mean it, and we'll all share tips and info and be the smarter for it.

I've been fishing all my life, ice fishing obsessively for six years, and moved to Superior from North Dakota about a year and a half ago.

Thanks to all you guys, I've learned a ton about North Shore fishing (a lot from Surface Tension although I still don't know all the things his FM handle means), and have learned some about the lakes in NW Wisconsin and the Wisconsin inlets to the St. Louis River (a lot of credit to Lundman1701, who now is stinger1600).

And I promise, no more Vikings jokes. grin.gif

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

Hi stfcatfish
Been following FM forum for about a year now, glad to see this wi. page on the main board, thanks rick. I live in NE wi. gonna be awhile before we have any ice. Did go out on green bay yesterday, caught some nice perch 8" to 10" range. Brought my vex and genz rod, just to practice up for ice fishing. can't wait.

Thanks Again

Hey greenhornet:

Thanks for signing up. Looks like we've got awhile to wait for ice here, too.

Look forward to hearing about how you're doing out there, and glad to see you nailed some perch, which should be in everybody's top five on best-tasting freshwater fish. Where'd you go for them, and what did you use?

And hornet, since you're around Green Bay, and it's a pretty big town, if you know other anglers out there who'd like sharing information and learning more about fishing, steer them our way. cool.gif

Good luck.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-10-2002).]

stfcatfish

we were out of oconto past the break wall in water ranging from 20 to 30 ft. had to move around alot, caught all of our fish on hali's with wax worm's, they wern't interested in minnow's. (now I'm gonna have to kill you)YUK YUK...Ive told alot of people about this forum, some aren't as addicted as I am. But I'll keep getting the word out, I want Wi. people to post here as much as you do, alway's looking for more info.

The greenhornet strikes again..

Greenhornet,

Welcome aboard.....What part of NE Wisconsin are you from? I now live in central Minnesota, but I grew up in the Lakewood, Townsend area of NE Wisconsin. I also lived in Appleton for a few years. My wife is originally from Oconto Falls.

flyingfish
I live in GB. I have freinds who live in mountain. we go up to chute pond on occation,and riley's and wabacon,always gotta stop at the green lake tap,also have fished in oconto falls above the ****,how's life in MN,you didn't convert to being a vicking fan did you? Have you fished URL yet?we will be there the second week of march,staying at the west wind, any advice would be nice.

I guess you can't say dam on the internet!
I suppose it would have bleeped out viking's to if I would have spelled it right.LOL

worked that time..

[This message has been edited by greenhornet (edited 11-12-2002).]

Hornet:

Fished URL twice, with guide advice both times.

For the crappies, fish away from the crowded city. The huge majority of them are just there because other fishermen were there first and they figure where there's fishermen, there's fish. Also, the city never really goes away there, even though it's a mobile city. Day and night, every day, there are at least hundreds, sometimes thousands, of anglers.

Anyway, all that motor, drilling, etc., activity may push the fish away (I believe strongly that it either pushes them away or dampens their aggressiveness if they are there). Find the city, go half a mile beyond it and start fishing. It really is a dump shoot, because the part of the lake it's legal to fish in (the rest of URL and Lower Red are on the Red Lake Chippewa Reservation) is a big flat, and you never know where they're going to be. The guides and experts never really know for sure, either.

Last time out, we started fishing 9 a.m. and on a consistent but slowish bite had our limits by 5 p.m., about when most people figure URL gets hot. So it isn't only a night bite. You'll get a lot of little perch sometimes, too, so bring plenty of minnows.

Also, you can go in shallower for tip-up pike with a good shot at a 20 during the morning/early afternoon, if you'd like, then move out to crappies later. You'll get the odd big pike when you're after crappies, as well.

For more on URL, log onto the URL board on this forum. They're a great bunch of folks and have a lot of savvy. But look all through the board before posting an inquiry. The advice rarely changes, and while the folks there are helpful and polite, many, many others have asked before you.

Good luck. grin.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-12-2002).]

Good to see another person from NE Wisconsin on the boards. I'm from Sherwood (10 min. east of Appleton), but right now I'm at college in Stevens Point, praying for ice. Actually , I'm getting ahead of myself. Gotta have a good deer hunting season first.

BB, yes fished them both. Used to fish Wheeler all the time. I still get back and fish it if there is ice during deer season, then x-mas and new years. Yes, most years you can get on it by deer season. It is known for having a good population of eyes, but the size usually runs fairly small. Things vary from season to season. But usually once the end of January rolls around I would usually start chasing gills around on other lakes. Most people don't go to wheeler for gills. There are not many in there, but if you find them they are big.

Nope...once a cheese head always a cheese head. The Vikings do have a lot of loyal fans out there, but they have a lot more fans that like to jump on and off the bandwagon....so it seems....

Red lake.......yep been there done that.... during the day the crappies are hit and miss. If you want to find them during the day, you better be ready to punch a thousand holes....once you find them you'll literaly catch them as fast as you can get your jig down the hole. They can then move out as quickly as you moved in. During the day you'll also find plenty of small perch pecking at your offering. They're everywhere out there. At night the schools roam around and you can usually hang tight and wait for some of the roamers to find you. Some nights you could have a 25-50-75...fish night and the next night from the same holes you'll only catch five.....Red Lake. One thing that many people don't go up there for is large pike. March should be a good time to get some pigs like Cat mentioned. Plenty of people at Westwinds should be able to help you out or Don Hudec from Hudec's Resort may also be able to point you in the right direction. Look for more info on the board once the time rolls closer.

Welcome aboard Roof. Worked in Appleton for a few summers. Lived with friends in Black Creek, Neenah, and Appleton. Still get back to fish the Wolf/Wisconsin/Fox in the spring a few times a year.

[This message has been edited by flyingfish (edited 11-12-2002).]

Also about URL. If you go in March for big pike, don't forget to try the whitefish in shallow, say three feet of water under the ice. They'll bite on little jigs w/waxies or little spoons.

They spawn in shallow in the spring, and the big pike come in to eat them too. A tip-up for pike outside the portable and a hole inside for whitefish. Hudec's or any of the other resorts up there should be able to get you in the right general area. Those whitefish are might good smoked.

And forget the vexilar after whities in water that shallow. Your shelter makes a good dark house, and whitefish will come through at any level, from hugging bottom three feet down to right under the ice. You can just look down the hole and spot them.

Never know when you'll get the odd eelpout doing that, either (mmmm, good backstraps).

Good luck.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]