• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a Honda generator

waskawood

Hi Guys. I just got my first permanent house and was wondering about your thoughts on using one of the quiet Honda generators on the ice. I don't want to make enemies with my fellow fishing neighbors so how many people object to these being used on the ice. Are they too noisy? Your comments please.

Dave

Guess it depends on where you're fishing. Crowded small structure lake I would say wait with the genny until after prime time. Wide open space like Red or LOW anytime you feel it isn't interfeering with your bite is OK. I bring along a 100' cord to move the genny towards the gypsy herd of portables that seem to set up in a drafting pattern just before prime time. If two seperate clans try a multiple approach attack, the truck needs to be warmed up at the same distance away from the permanent.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I have one, but I don't use it for ice fishing. They are quiet, compared to a normal generator, but they do make a fair amount of noise. I would definately build some kind of a small box with proper ventilation to deflect the sound in the opposite direction of other houses. You have to be pretty careful with them on ice and snow, water and generators obviously don't mix well.

Waskawood: I have the 1000 watt and use all of the time on the ice. It's very quiet and I've never had a complaint about the noise. I use it to run the Microwave, just for heating foods or popcorn, and to recharge the batteries when they are low. I don't use the 12vdc output though. I convert the 120vac through a 50amp 12vdc charger. It takes a bout 2hours to get the two deep cycle batteries charges enough for lots of light. I also run a TV and Marine radio, Ham radio, plus a graph off the 12vdc. Actually with the duel running mode, you can't really hear it inside the fishouse running the low RPM's, it sits about 6 ft away from the rear of the house. When I'm not running it I do keep it inside the house for easier starting when It's below zero... I also find many other uses for it during the rest of the year. I wish I'd got the 2000 Watt though the first time....Kaz

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 09-25-2004).]

I agree with bryce!!
I used mine as a way to keep people from getting to close to me.
when others come and plop down their perms and ports I make it a point to tell them .
"hey just to let you know I have an old 2500 watt gen that make a lot of noise and I use it every night and morning." I usually have to place it 10' from their house the first night by the second they are usually gone.

do the generators really spook fish? has anyone tried to insulate a box and put the generator inside with rubber mounts? I really want to get a generator too but that's my biggest fear is that I'll spook all the fish. however if I'm perch fishing would it attract them?