• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winterizing OptiMax Motors

Eastwind

I keep hearing a rumor that Mercury Optimax motors are programed to self oil for the purpose of winterizing them. It id=s either driven by an sequence of pushing in the key a number of times, moving the throttle lever a number of times or something else. Does anyone know anything about this?

If you need any question asked go to this site and post a question, they have certified mechanics that will usually provide an answer quickly.

This is cut and pasted from another site and is not my information but it might be helpful:

I have a 2002 135 Optimax on my 2002 Dauntless 180. The owner's manual includes the following (paraphrased) instructions for winterization:

1. Add the appropriate amounts of fuel stabilizer and Mercury Quickleen to any fuel remaining in the fuel tank.

2. Remove the water-separating fuel filter and discard.

3. Fill a new water-separating fuel filter with 2 teaspoons of fuel stabilizer and 2 teaspoons of Quickleen, and install the new fuel filter.

4. Prime the fuel system, start the motor and let it run for 10 minutes (with proper arrangements for cooling water).

5. Remove each spark plug, put one ounce of engine oil in each cylinder, rotate flywheel several times, and replace spark plugs. (The owner's manual says nothing about indexing the plugs - it only says to hand tighten them, and then turn them an additional quarter turn, or torque them down to 20 lb. ft.).

6. Drain and refill gear case lubricant.

7. Store in upright position to allow water to drain.

When I took my boat to the dealership this year to have it winterized and shrink-wrapped, I specifically inquired about fogging oil because I did not want to spend $120 replacing spark plugs in the spring. The service department employee I spoke with told me that with Optimax engines, rather than fogging the cylinders as they would with any other outboard, they would hook my motor up to some special fuel mixture and let it run for a while. The special fuel mixture would supposedly accomplish the same result as using fogging oil in a normal outboard.

Finally, the owner's manual maintenance schedule does include any recommendations for a periodic "tune-up".

That is correct... the procedure outlined here last year put the motor back into break-in mode.

E-tec's have a automatic winterizing process on them.

Instructions for winterizing direct injection motors (such as yours) can be found here: Winterizing or in the sticky post at the top of this forum.

You can do it as spelled out in that thread, or as detailed above by Caleb, or purchase a separate tank and mix fogging fluid into it with gas and gas stabilizer and run it.

The other thing to note is that this is just for the engine - you need to take care of the lower unit oil too...

marine_man

I have always had my winterizing etc...done at a Merc. certified marine center to avoid any hassles if a warranty issue should occur. Have done it this way since new (05) and luckily have not had to cross that bridge.

Gentlemen: 90HP Optimax

Question from a novice... Draining the fuel filter reservoir. The manual says to pull the hose off the right side fitting first, unscrew the hex screw on the left side to drain the filter reservoir. When I lossen the screw nothing drains. I nearly took out the entire screw from the housing, fuel wanted to come out the screw, but nothing comes out the hose.

What an I doing wrong?? Any comments are appreciated.

I think you loosen the screw on the side the tube is still connected. then you can point the tube into a jar or something and collect it. then do the same for the other side.

so did you by new spark plugs yet??? They charged me $21+ per plug, and 3 plugs later i sold a kidney to pay for it. I did all the recommended replacements of filters/plugs/ect. and spent over $200. i will be a bit selective on what i replace in the future