• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trapping basics?

I have been doing a lot of reading and research into trapping. I understand trap sizes and types for each targeted species. I am interested in catching Beaver, Mink and Muskrat. I know the area I would like to make my sets, but am unaware of how many traps I need and what relative area X amount of traps are good for. I thin ka nice assortment of 110’s and 330’s for water sets, and a few foot hold for some slightly submerged sets, such as a castor mound etc. I will probably be putting the traps out for a day or two, each run depending on my time off.

Trany

Well Trany, as far as how many traps to used will depend on how big of an area you plan on using. The way I judge how many traps to put out is scout out your area a couple weeks ahead of time and just see how much sign is out there. 110's will be great for the mink and the muskrat, if you are running a lot of water you might want to pick up a couple 220's for coon. And of course 330's for beavers are the way to go. If you are only going to be able to get out every couple of days the body grips are a must. My best advice to you about how many traps to set out is that it is alway better to have 4 great sets that you put the effort into, then just through out a dozen traps.