• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tandem bucktail rigging

not sure if i'm following but... the mepps tandem if memory serves (it's been a loooong time since i bought a bucktail) is a wire through the eye of the top hook running back to the back hook. the top hook is tied directly to and around the wire going to the back hook. wish i could be more help. it's been along time since i tied a treble hook with anything. i prefer springs myself. i do tie onto singles like an eagle tail. hope this helps... thorne bros. sells pretied tandem mepps tails. very bottom row below the smaller blades in the fly tie/rod makeing area. but your in wisconsin. darn.

Maybe I'll have to take one apart. I'm not worried about how to tie bucktail/marabou/flash but am just tryig to figure out how to connect the two hooks with wire. I usually just go with a single shaft and use a clevis or split ring for the upper treble behind the body/blade but do like the split ring design of the mepps and blue fox.

Sometimes I like to do multiple bucktails where the trailing hook is attached with a short piece of multistrand leader material. Just crimp one end to the trailing hook and the other to the split ring of the first hook.. A little shrink tubing can be used if you want the first hook to stay inline with the second hook.

Quote:
Maybe I'll have to take one apart. I'm not worried about how to tie bucktail

these two sentences say it all. tear one apart and just replace it with a new one you tied. cost you mabe 25-35 cents if you reuse the hooks grin ... wish i knew how to put it in words better. anyway, ripping one apart can be fun too.

I've taken apart a Mepps Magnum Musky Killer... mainly to cannibalize the parts and make a modified double-bladed Mepps...

At the top, the wire is looped then wrapped around itself few times... the shaft runs down to the end and is looped back up so that this end goes into the brass body... not wrapped around like the top end... and this is where split ring is attached to the hook... The wire itself is thinner (I dont know how thick it is) than those used for Cowgirls...

Myself, I dont like how thin this wire is... so I would just replace it with .051 wires... problem with this is that the beads wont fit... brass body will fit... clevis wont fit... so you would have to replace the beads and the clevis, which is what I did...

I havent taken apart a tandem one so I dont know how they attach those two hooks...

I might be on a different page than some of you guys, I should have explained better.....take any mepps that has two trebles on it. Take the top hook off the split ring so you just have the top treble and the wire connecting it to the rear treble. That is what I want to learn how to wire up. The bottom hook is no problem, but how to wire/attach the front hook to the wire leading down to the second hook is what I'm after.

Even if I take one 'apart', which would consist of cutting the hair and thread wrap off of a mepps or blue fox, I'm afraid it will require a special tool or process they use in the manufacturing process. Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
the mepps tandem if memory serves is a wire through the eye of the top hook running back to the back hook. the top hook is tied directly to and around the wire going to the back hook.

this is correct. but i'll take the plunge and try to detail it a little better. ok. ... take a piece of wire that is ''at least'' 8 inches. form a ''U'' shape in the wire matching it up with the shank of the hook leaveing it (the tag) about 1/4'' or so longer than where the hooks start turning out. put the wire through the eye of the hook. wrap the wire onto the shank with thread and glue it with super glue to hold it steady, makeing sure that the top of the wire, where the ''U'' is, is tight to the bottom of the eye. don't need a whole lot of thread, just enough to hold it. just a thin wrap down the length of the shank. now add some hair about halfway or so down the shank untill you get it covered well.now do the top as normal... except... you want to cover most of the eye if you don't normally. now after this put your egg sinker on the wire coming out the bottom and make a ''U''. put a pretied hook on. snip it so you can bring the egg sinker over both the main wire and the tag wire. or just work it through then snip it, whichever you prefer, just make sure it can be tight to the bottom. now put a long nose over both wires and just twist it with another pliars. nothing fancy, just twist it and slide the egg down. now .. go fishing after you attach it to the front section.

i hope this is good enough. if not tell me, ask, and i'll try and explain better. ... no you don't need anything special to do this. ''EXCEPT'' you may be hard pressed to tie the hook on the wire comfortably without a bucktail vise. thorne brothers has those too. 40 bucks. so tear on apart if you like. good luck.

Quote:
i prefer springs myself. i do tie onto singles like an eagle tail.

i'd like to clarify to avoid confusion confused ...

i tie onto single hooks like the hooks ''ON'' an eagle tail. siwash hooks to be specific. the way it's written above it may look like i'm saying the hooks on a eagle tail are tied. they are not, the tails are tied directly to the wires.

We have weighted 5/0 treble hooks with a wire loop running through the keel weight. You tie your material on the 5/0 and tie material on the trailer hook and attach the trailer with a split ring.

Dick Moore