• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

camper fish house

backlash 1

Does anyone have any information, either pro or con about converting a camper into a fish house. I'm sure it would be a problem circulating the heat, what about condensation?
Also, what about size, would a 24' be too big for on the ice???
Appreciate any comments.
Backlash

Fish houses are made out of what ever people want. Limited only by peoples imagination and wallet. I have seen people that turned an old small trailer house into a fish hhouse. A big house is really nice, though it also limits your mobility. Also to consider the lakes you intend to put it on and incases of bad weather can it be taken off w/o too much difficulties. Good luk

GRIZ

I made a fish house out of a pickup camper. Worked great. I put retractable wheels under it and a different heater. slept 3 people comfortably. The only thing was that when it was really windy I would have to run the heater more because there was not alot of insulation in it. If you need someone to put wheels under it let me know and I can hook you up whith someone at a reasonable price

Very interesting concept Keyfish. I can't say i've ever seen a pickup camper converted.
Is'nt floor space very limited to start with, or did you do something different to expand the base? What would such a conversion with retractable wheels run aprox?
Do you have any pics?
Backlash

Your right. Not alot of floor space but very comfortable to fish out of. I had 4 holes along one side of the floor. There was a closet in the camper that I took out and put another hole in it. Made a good place to put a rattle reel. You can find pickup camper pretty cheap. I do have pictures of mine. If you give me your email I will try and find them and email them to you. I could also email you the phone number of the guy that put the wheel system under mine. (My father-in-law) He has done the same thing for a couple of my friends also. I do not want to speak for him but i think you could get the trailer done for around 600-700.

I converted a cab over camper into a fishhouse a couple of years ago. It is full width and full length about 78" x 144". The camper was in extremely tough shape with water damage. I Removed the bottom half at the point it gets smaller, I built a floor to fit on the trailer I purchased, built a stub wall to sit the top half on. With a full length 2x4 at each corner. If I were to do it all over I would completely strip the re-usable skin and build a complete 2x2 frame and re-install the skin, windows and doors etc. It was a lot of work trying to make it rigid and square. I sandwiched 1 1/2" closed cell foam in all for sides, roof and floor. I built bunks out of metal doors I bought from Menards for $5 and screwed a layer of plywood underneath for strength. The bunks are hinged to the end wall, the bottom bunks swings down and is used for a back. Its like sitting on a sofa while fishing. Its a perfect setup for two. I also install a camper stove and oven combo in the back corner with and old cabinet I had. Its fun but also a lot of work. I finally took it to my daughter inlaws uncle yesterday to have it painted. I built it about 7' high, I bought two 5' x 12' sheets of aluminum for the bottom half of the sides. Otherwise there was enough skin for the rest of the house. I also had the trailer built with 12" stubs out the back and install a 2 x 12 on it for a back step. I,m long winded email [email protected] with questions I hope this helps