• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best light weight 12 ga under $1300??

Coach

dakotakid, you are right about the weights, I was actually comparing it to my dads 3 1/2 gold hunter which is pretty heavy. Do they even make the standard Gold any more that's not the superlight?

The X-tra grain wood is something I'd avoid if possible. Basically it's a laminate. A thin veneer of quality wood over a chunk of something inexpensive. You can't have your stock bent if you have it and it's not all that durable from reports I've heard. Add in another Benelli Monte Feltro suggestion. I've always been satisfied with mine.

From a strictly functional standpoint it's hard to beat a composite. It's lighter, stronger, weather resistant etc. That being said all my guns are wood. For me hunting and shooting connects me with the past and I don't like feeling like Buck Rogers when I make my way through the alders. Wood gets nicked up, but to me those gouges are just character marks. Nicks and scratches are the signs of the passage of time doing what I like most.

For upland it's hard to beat an O/U shotgun. You can get a beretta onxy over/under that doesn't weigh much and has the 3.5" or 3" chambers. You might be a little outgunned with only 2 shots when it comes to waterfoul, but it will point, balance, and swing better than the other guns mentioned.