• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Always wear your life jacket.

So I took the canoe out today to the Rum River and ended up going for a swim. Me and my buddy were out and I lost a lure and it was floating towards us. I made the rookie mistake of leaning a bit too far to grab it and in we went. Very lucky to have both been wearing our life jackets cause we were in some pretty swift current up near a log jam. Could have very easily been sucked under had it not been for the jackets.

I learned from the experience and will not make that mistake again. D'oh. I gotta pick up a new rod for my buddy and pay the insurance deductible for his phone. But we made it and once we got the canoe up onto the bank and got the gear we salvaged, we burst out laughing, cause at that point what else can you do?

I was surprised at how well all the gear floats (except fishing rods). I just hope I don't have to find out again. And no, it wont keep me from going out in the canoe, I will just be smarter about it next time. Lesson Learned!

That's the best way to learn a lesson - no damage done & only a little bit of gear lost!

I haven't flipped a canoe yet (knock on wood!) in all my BWCA trips & metro excursions, but you're exactly right, wearing a life jacket in current or cold water is critical.

Thanks for the reminder.

I always where a life jacket while in my Kayak, and I keep my cell phone in a zip lock bag inside a zipper pocket on my life jacket.

Lessons learned are always important, to bad they some times come

at some sort of expense.