• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using an Otter for Spearing

iffwalleyes

Have any of you used your otter fish house to spear out of. I am think about doing some spearing but I don't have a house specifically for that. I got to think though that my otter might work ok. I was woundering if any of you have tried this. Any modification necessary to make it work. Thanks.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I have used my Shoremaster Jigger portable for spearing the 3 or 4 years for eary ice and to check out new areas and lakes, just set up a reel off the poles and a little rigging to line up the decoy to where you want it in the hole. I have always decent luck too!! So give it a try! Mike

interesting idea? I have always pondered that idea for local lakes with my two person fishtrap. I suppose u would have to throw a black tarp or something to make it absoluetly dark. I have a cross beam perfect for a reel to hang. Great question, but time is running out for this year. I guess where there is a will there is a way. What would you lose trying it?

Oh I am already thinking ahead to next year. I am thinking of building a spear house but then I though maybe my otter would work. So I just threw it out there to see if any one had done that or not.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

We have used our Otter for spearing the last 3 years..... Works GREAT!!! The only thing is, figure out what your going to tie your decoy string off too.... Also, be CAREFULL of the ice, you will have an ice floor, and when your heater warms the house up, it gets pretty slippery and that's a big hole.... yourself, kids, dog, etc.... Good luck !!!!!!!

I have not done anything to my canvas on my shoremaster house. I found you can order new skin (canvas) from them and I'm thinking to order a double layer of material. But in all fairness I have done very well with the way it is and this is on ice with no snow! What I'm saying is I feel the canvas from a stock house should enough. But then sometimes darker is better and the other side of that is it will hold the heat better on cold days!! As for the water from the heater, I'm working on that too! I have placed a piece of plywood under the Mr. Heated/cooker and that helped. I'm open to other ideas though. Mike