• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No mow lawns

LwnmwnMan2

I know Quetico keeps mentioning the "no mow lawn" technique, and I've seen some responses from people inquiring about them.

I was going to say, a quick google search of "no mow lawn" and click on the images part, will show many many pictures of them for those that are interested.

Just a clarification- no-mow is a mixture of lawn growing fescue grasses that have a mature height of 4". They are varieties known for their drought tolerance.

They have a root system 5-6 times deeper then traditional turf so they have greater access to water and nutrients. Thus preventing them from needing supplemental fertilizers and irrigation. They are naturally adapted to the water cycles existing in MN. They are used to wet springs, dry hot summers and moderately moist falls.

The cost comparisons heavily favor no-mow lawns. No two ways to argue it no-mow saves time, money and gas. These 3 areas pay for the cost of installation within 5 years. Does your irrigation system pay for itself in 5, 10 or 50 years?

I am constantly bringing no-mow as an alternative to traditional high maintenance and high cost turf lawns. Alternative turf type lawns are becoming a bigger deal and much more common. They are far more environmentally friendly then your high input traditional turfs.

Yes, they have a folded over look but realize its still deep green without any fertilizer or irrigation. Also realize one major city- Toronto has already ban the use of gas lawn mowers. That may happen in your community in the next 10 years. Its a reality we should consider.

I always get it from a place thats wholesale only. Its not commonly used yet, but becoming more common. I will check around and get a list to post later.

Please be warned this is not something you can just mix in with your existing lawn. Kentucky Blue will out compete it. No-mow is something you need to start from a dead lawn. Just seeding it in with an existing lawn will not work.

Gertens in Inver Grover Heights has it. Its a bit expensive but it will pay for itself. I rant he cost comparison of professional install and maintenance of no-mow verse the cost of simply mowing a traditional lawn. The no-mow pays for itself within 5 years.

Well a Landscape Architect I know used it on East Riverside Park in Minneapolis. Its seems to be doing fine. There was talk for a long time about it not holding up well to foot traffic and dogs. But the my subcontractors that install it professionally have shown me places where they have put it in moderate to have traffic with success.