• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to bring?

SCHAAKATTACK

I may try an ice fishing contest. I have set the bar extremely low and do not plan to win anything. I have never been a particpant before. My question(s) is What to bring? I assume at a minimum something to drop in the hole to try and catch a fish. Do you bring your vex? When do you bring your "catch" up to be weighed? What do you do with your gear when you are at the weigh station? Do I need to bring bait? how about an auger? I am going to try a smaller event to learn the process, but I would like to have some knowledge of how things work so I can enjoy. Thanks!! I will need all the advice I can get.

It depends, the last contest I went to they had the holes drilled(most do) and they gave us the bait. But everything else was up to us. Some contests they dont let you use a Vex. I would just bring it and ask if you can use it. As far as what to do with your stuff when you go to weigh a fish depends on how trusting you are. I usually just leave it at the hole. It only takes a minute or so to weigh it. I usually try to get a hole pretty close to the weighers. My suggestion is go a little early and ask the guys that are running it what you can use.
Best of luck to you. I hope you win something. Good luck and be safe.

I did the Fishlake contest on 2-1 and had a good time. Some of the giveaways I thought were a little unusual. Didn't win a thing! I had a tiny sunfish and put it back w/o weighing it. I think the big ticket was a 1.2 pound crappie. Next time I'll wear heavier socks, my feet got a little cold at the end. Good entertainment. I'm ready for the next event.