• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best pickled fish recipe???

I am pickling up a batch of pike and was wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite recipe to do so... I would like to find Silver satin wine as I hear that is a good add to the vinegar mixture. ANyone know where to find it?

Mine is as follows;

Soak for 48 hrs. 5 lbs pike in 8 cups water that has 1 cup of salt dissolved into it.

Rinse fish well and then cover with 7 cups white vinegar and soak in fridge for 24 hrs.

Reserve vinegar and then wash fish.

Heat 6 cups vinegar to boil for 2 min. Then dissolve 2.5 cups sugar into vinegar-let cool to room temp.

Layer fish and sliced white onions in pint size jars- fill about halfway. You will need about 10 jars.

add 1/4 cup pickling spices to sugar/vinegar mix, you may also add 2 tsp mustard seed as well as pepper corns.

Fill rest of jars with vinegar sugar mix and cover- Let sit in fridge for 4 days before enjoying your pickled pike...

Add one bay leaf to each jar.