• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing on Kugururok River (Unit 23)?

In early September I will be floating the Kugurok River (flows into Noatak river in unit 23). Does anyone have some good advice on what fishing presentations I should try and what fish species I should target? (using a spinning reel set up - not fly fishing)

I will be hunting caribou but would like to do a little fishing as well. Thanks for any advice. FL Sniper.

I don't know if the Sheefish run that high, but you would need more substantial tackle if you tie into one of those! whistle

Mostly Grayling and Char (Dolly Varden trout). Panther Martins are always a go to spinner along with some smaller Vibrax's. Pixie spoons are common although I've only had luck with them in remote areas like where you are going.

For the Panthers, I like the yellow with red spots (5 of diamond type of paint), but many others can work also. You'll find a lot of gold with red or pink in Pixies, but one color that stood out for me was a white with green center.

These aren't secret choices - just the usual suspects. One great thing about where you're going is the fish may never have seen a lure before yours! See if you can find out if the river will be high and fast or low and slow to help size your choices.

Good luck!

P.S. YOU LUCKY DOG!

Are you using Walt for your outfitter? The kobuk for sure and i believe the Noatak have GREAT shee fishing. they rae fun to catch, and spinning tackle works just fine, we fish for them all the time on a few sloughs aroudn bethel and side rivers.

If your using Walt from northwest alaska, give him a call, he is MORE than helpful.

Fishermann,

Don't those sheefish run up to around the 20 pound mark and fight like tarpon? I've never had the priveledge of catching one but that was my impression.

The next time I can save up enough to make it that far north, I was thinking of a float down the Kobuk. Is that a great place to go?

I've been to the Squirrel for a hunt and on the Nimiuktuk just up from the Noatak. Is it similar to those areas?

P.S. Don't mean to steal the topic.

Yes...we are renting two rafts and a tent from Walt...being dropped in by Northern Trophy Air. Another guy in our group lined things up with Walt. I've been put on "fish catching" duties! Sounds like inline spinners like panthers, vibrax, & meps is the way to go. Anyone ever try a few power eggs on a plain hook and split shot? Thanks guys...we're getting more and more pumped to go as our plans get firmed up. FL Sniper

you don't have to get real fancy sniper, remmeber to keep things LIGHT. that is going to be the hardest thing for you to do is to pack light. two rods, two peice rods, and 15-20 different lures is all your going to want to bring.

Sheefish do get that big, but most are in the 8-13lb range, and they fight well, but heck, thats half the fun. spinning tackle will be more than enough to land them. remember light light light. and call walt, he is a super guy and will help you out.

10-4. We've already realized from our planning we don't have much wiggle room with weight...we have no choice but to go light. Thanks again for the info. I'd like to fast forward to our trip...but I guess it will be here soon enough. ~ FL

You will have a great time. I am sure you have been told or already know this but i will say it anyway, NO COTTON. smile The best thing i own for float hunting is the wader pants. The breathable ones from cabelas that are so comfy. Much better than rain gear in my opinion.