• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pike are destroying me

bloomington

I have a question. The same techniques I have been using to catch big bass has also found pike. The problem is when I get a 3-5+ pound pike on the line it tends to destroy my spinner bait. With only certain colors seeming to work there has been days that have been cut short. My question is is there ways or techniques that can save my spinner baits from these creatures?

Don't get me wrong I don't hate them. There has been days that the pike has been the best fish I catch of the day, but gong through 5-10 dollars worth of lures gets frustrating. mad

I have been throwing T-1 terminator spinerbaits in pike infested water. They hold up very well to the abuse from pike and muskies. I think I am still using one from last season right now.

Yeah, I like the titanium spinerbaits for fishing pike infested waters. I have had some big bass do the same thing though. One thing that might work for you is a swim jig. They are similar to using a spinnerbait but minus the blades obviously. On lakes that are heavily pressured, a spinnerbait can become a conditioning lure and bass will turn away from it. A swim jig is something they see far less often, but kinda has the same action and profile. A lot of times they will eat it over a spinnerbait. Pike will still eat them too, and sometimes if you are fishing heavily infested waters, a small leader isn't a bad option.

Pike destroy ever lure. If a tooth knicks the rubberband holding said skirt it's pretty much done. I have wrapped some mono/braid then glued the skirt back on or over the trashed rubberband. It has helped extend the life of the jig/spinnerbait/buzzbait.

Thanks Guys-

I usually will not use spinner baits when fishing heavily fished lakes in metro area.

I usually spent two weeks up north (and available weekends) on a lake not heavily fished. I have a high success rate in tossing spinner baits and needed a little advice in extending the life what is working. Have tried my successful methods around the metro up north, but just not catching as many and big fish.

Quote:
Using a small zip tie around the skirt collar can help extend the life of a spinnerbait skirt.

Now you tell me! J/K that's a great and cheap tip. Sure beats wrapping and glueing line on.