• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tales from an OCFer

Mr. Pike1

I have posted over the years and have at times spoke of my OCF (Obsessive Compulsive Fishing) disorder and shared some of the trials and tribulation of this affliction. I long ago reached the acceptance phase but over the years I find go through cycles and fixations.

I am for the most part a multi-species angler but I have found myself drawn towards Bass (Smallmouth in paticular) and to some extent tiger musky. The tigers came by chance as many of the local metro lakes have these animals stocked and prowling and I must admit they are quite a sporting fish to tangle with along with being a very cool looking fish with the tiger strips/

This has lead to my latest fixation on as part of me OCF journey and that is topwater fishing. Oh sure I still love plastics with a senko, tube, fluke, etc. and also will dabble with what Dietze has made famous in the drop shot rig in deeper water.

However, none of these can give me the rush of a monster bass or tiger exploding on a topwater.

Nothing beats being on the water right at dawn or pre-dusk when the lake is like glass and you are surrounded by the sounds of nature and the splash of your topwater hitting the water just outside the weedline or on top of deep water with weeds. I find that 75% of my strikes occure after the bait hits the water, rests, the ripples disipate and then the explosion !!!!!! The rest are coaxed by a little twitch, twitch, Bam

The real skill comes in being patient and being able to fight that instinct of setting the hook as you hear/see the splash.

To increase the effect I have found that fishing from my kayak gets me closer to the action and its not uncommon for a 20" bass, 30-40" tiger musky, or the occassional pike to give you nice little tour of the lake. I must admit that I am still very nervous of a healthy tiger causing some trouble at the side of the kayak and always have my trusty tool easily accessable to cut the line if any potential trouble ensues.

I also find instead of hiding in the shadows that it is very benifial for me to speak opening about my OCF afliction. So feel free to share as well as you are not alone, there are many many others out there obsessing of the next time on the water....