• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? for you auto mechanics

Looking at replacing our family vehicle and noticed that one of the features listed was that it met California emission standards. This got me to wondering. How does this effect fuel economy of the vehicle?

Bob

What kind of vehicle is it bob?

I would not be concerned so much with the mileage but I would be concerned about the extra labor charges due to the vehicle being California equipped. Not to mention all of the extra anti pollution parts that can fail.

Ditto on what Jer just said.

"California Emission Standards" means more stuff, which could equal into possibly more repair dollars in the future.

I do not think mileage is effected all that much, but I am sure a MPG or two. Federal emissions and State emissions standards do not take MPG’s into consideration. It all about the hydrocarbon totals coming out of the tail pipe.

It's a pre-owned vehicle and yeah when you consider that it is an Expedition I can see where mileage shouldn't be all that big a deal. Just wondering how this...ahem..."feature" could effect us down the road.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Most of the time the difference from Fed to Cal emmisions on the Fords are different converters, and a different program in the computer. I have heard that the Cal emmisions cause a little less economy, but I cant confirm that myself! I wouldnt walk away from a good deal beacause of Cal emmisions, but I would pick one of the same deal!