• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1980 Johnson 25

RiverKarhu

I "inherited" a '80 Johnson 25hp that was in a fire. The tiller handle is burned, the hood melted, and the airbox is mostly melted. Also the controls at the front of the motor are burned out. Other than that, it looks pretty good. The motor model number says it was a rope start, but somewhere along the way it acquired an electric starter. Previous owner said it ran great until the fire (not caused by the motor).

- anyone know of a source for used Johnson parts?

- since this was converted to a elec start, would it have a charging circuit?

The price was right ($0), so I thought what the heck, can't hurt to give it a smash.

cheers,

River

Traveling to the cities wouldn't be a problem - someone told me of a place in Big Lake? Or something Lake......?

I took more of the burned/melted stuff off today. Everything in front of the carb is melted, the air box, motor cover, tiller handle plastic parts, the choke / switches. Other than that, it looks okay, smoke/soot on everything, but other than that the nylon linkages etc on the motor are not melted or stressed. I think I'll plug the carb next and scrub the motor down with soapy water and see if anything else shows up.

If used is what you are looking for, Tim's Outboard in Hackensack has always been helpful for me. That may be the place you are thinking of. I've always known it as Tim's but have heard it called Big Lake Marine.

Thanks Bruce, I'll let you know how it goes. I talked to a local shop here today, but they are busy as helms and didn't have much time, just said "bring it in and we will fix it". I am worried about putting $500 into parts and labor replacing the burned stuff and then finding out it doesn't run worth beans. So I think I will clean it up and check the compression, if that is good, then I will probably bring it in to have it worked on. I figure it would probably be worth it if the compression is okay.

cheers

River