• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunflower recipes? Cooking to pass the time.

Dirtyb25

Often times when the fishing gets slow, we find ourselves looking for ways to pass the time. In almost every portable on the lake you can find a Sunflower type heater, you guys have any good sunflower heater recipes to pass the times while I sit on the ice waiting for the big one?

Sausage or turkey links in a frying pan, stew or soup in a pan, get either the canned dinty moore stuff or freeze some of your own. I have wood stove heater in my house and love getting the lines out early in the morning and then throwing some sausages on.

A couple of ideas:

Slices of Jimmy Dean sausage topped with a slice of cheese between a fresh hamburger bun makes an awesome breakfast.

Meat on Mille Lacs also kicks out some great bratburgers for an easy meal on the ice.

Potato Sausage from Zups in Ely (order online) cooks up very nicely with just a little water in the frying pan for a tasty snack.

Make some sloppy joes at home, freeze, then warm up in a pan. Killer sloppers go like this:

1 lb Hamburger
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 chopped green pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown suger
Salt & pepper to taste

1. Brown Ground Beef, onion, & green pepper. Drain liquid
2. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

You'll never buy Manwich again.

We decided one day on Red that it would be nice to heat the lunch meat right before it was put into a sandwich. Didn't have any "cookware" with, so we set a slice in the slush scooper and held it over the sunflower. It works great for hot dogs, brats and cold cuts(but now we have to call them hot cuts).

Prep before you head out.

In a container, place:
chopped tomatoes (one pk of cherry tomatoes works well)
chopped onion (I use red)
minced garlic
oil (I use olive oil)
herbs are optional
s&p to taste
small fish fillets (sunnies are perfect)

Preheat a frypan to medium. Dump in your container. Cook until the fish is white and flakey. Great with a hard roll and butter.

It doesn't get much easier or better.

Brats or dogs on a skewer are very easy to bring along and sure can warm a person up. I usually just throw a couple stainless skewers in my bucket with rods and they are alwasy there.