• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hobie Kayaks

Anyone ever do any fishing out the Hobie kayak you see Hank Parker fishing out of once in a while on TV?

If you google hobie fishing you can see them. I'm guessing they can't get in water shallower than 2 feet because of the pedals.

What are you guys' thoughts?

My friend has the Hobie's ... from what I understand the foot paddles can retract up, or be removed completely so it will not be an issue in shallow water - but would need a separate traditional kayak paddle when doing this.

He loves his Hobies - the foot paddles move the kayak very well, and frees up both hands to do his fishing.

He showed me a hobie catalog - I was amazed at all the fishing options available for this kayak. They even make a live well for them. It displayed a hobie fully decked out with fish finder, GPS, rod holders all over, built in tackle box, etc ... pretty impressive. These are pretty spendy compared to most other kayaks. If I had thought I would want to do fishing out of a kayak, I would have probably justified the extra cost.

Probably, but the kayak has many advantages over traditional boats.

One big one is storage. I can fit 20 hobies in my garage compare to 1 boat.

You can use them on a wider variety of waters from, shallow rivers to big lakes (motor reg. lakes).

Its a blast to not buy gas.

Its quiet, relaxing, and good excercise to propel yourself.

Stealth. I have gotten right over fish in shallow water that would have spooked with a regular boat and motor.

Kayaks troll at the perfect speed. Jig or pull rigs in a hobie and you will never want to go back to backtrolling.

I don't want a small boat and motor for the exact reasons given.....I would think these would be perfect for the boundary waters....instead of all that paddling....give that workout to the legs! smile

They are pretty heavy (compare to a canoe) and carry much less gear than you can carry in a canoe, plus it is against the rules to use a mechanized propulsion system (like the mirage drive) in the BWCA. You could paddle it, but the outbacks paddle like a bear.

For a BWCA multi-day trip there are much better options than a hobie.