• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why is there no place on an official Canadian HSOforum with the duty rates? I've scoured many sites for the official scoop and have never found anything on the Provincial or Federal sites that states much beyond how much you can bring in without paying duty. I guess this "state secret" is accomplishing it's goal of encouraging the sale of Canadian beer. I think the taxes are high on liquor up there to prevent people from using it as a gasoline substitute ;-)

I don't know why it's kept quiet, i.e. no HSOforum. Whenever I want an answer, I call, and the people in Fort Frances/Ont. are very helpful.

I recommend you call a Port of Entry for specifics from someone.

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

Pigeon River/?? 807-964-2093

Toll Free Automated Service 800-461-9999

Thanks for all the good discussion guys! We just got back yesterday and bought our extra beer up there. When you consider the price of the whole trip whats a few more bucks for each case of beer? Plus we zipped through the border in record time this year. By the way, if i would have eaten one more walleye fillet or drank one more ice cold Blue I would have had to buy bigger pants to wear home.

Just called St. Frances. The lady told me "About $10" for an American bringing a case of beer into Canada. She said she cannot quote an exact amount becuse the duty depends on the price paid for the beer and the daily exchange rate.

I will be bringing a 30-pack of Hamms ($10.99) so my duty should be below the $10 mark.

We have been paying the duty every year on our extra beer and it is very confusing, I've looked all over the web for rates and such thinking that I can figure out how much it will be.

I buy Bud-Light locally for $15 and last year the duty was $12.33usd. It's all based on what you tell them you spent for the beer and the rate of duty + the GST rate + the PST rate + the Provincial Liquor mark-up fee. I can't even figure out the form I have from last year.

Each rate depends on which Province in Canada you go to.

Anyone know what a case of Bud-light goes for in Fort Frances?

I buy beer in I-falls for $18/case for cans of Blue. I then pay $10/case duty/tax when I cross over.

Anyone else have number that jive with mine, or am I paying different rates for being a Canadian...I sure wouldn't think so.