• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

catching - smoking goldeyes

Roughfisher

I saw a post by backwater ed here a while ago about catching goldeyes thru the ice.

I'd really like to catch a mess for smoking.
We get a few now and then in the summer when fishing the Red Lake river, and I was wondering how to locate/catch good numbers of them this time of year.

That guy from Fargo "Ed on the Red", I remember him posting sometime back about using glow devils or Bio Bait and catching goldeyes on The Sheyenne River somewhere near Fargo.

I really don't know where to point for winter goldeyes. I heard at a bait shop that guys have been seeing lots of Walleyes, cats, northerns, and Crappies on the Red near the Forks with their Aqua views but not getting any biters.

I think Lake Sakakawea is abundant with goldeye. According to the ND Game and Fish they have a problem with fishermen discarding them on the ice.

[This message has been edited by Perchpapa (edited 01-06-2004).]

For all you guy's that have been sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for info on how to catch river goldeyes. The following is advice from Ed Carlson, (aka: backwater eddy)that he emailed to me.

"Look for deeper sharp bends then find the inside edge of the flow. Jig with a gold or gold glow Angel Eye JR tipped with a minnow head. Expect the Goldeye to be almost anywhere in the water colomn but start near the bottom. They like agresive jigging and watch for the hit as the spoon falls. They can be sneaky bugger Eh."

Thanks Ed. I'll be drilling and jerkin em up this weekend. I'll be sure to report. I sure am looking forward to a couple dozen brownsugar cured smoked Goldeyes.