• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Difference between a 1500HD and a 2500HD

O.K. Chevy guys...

I'm looking for a different truck and was leaning twards a chevy if the budget allows. I'm looking for something to pull my camper with mostly, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the 1/2 ton HD and the 3/4 ton HD....is there a difference in towing capacities???

Depending on year, there are differences.

The 2500HD has a higher tow rating, but also depends on gearing. The 2500HD also has a 2" bigger frame.

The 1500HD is a classic 2500 from the pre- HD trucks. It is a ext. cab long box frame, and only comes in crew cab short box. This was a money saving thing from GM.

I believe there was a difference in the rear ends also, but I can't say for sure what it is.

Another thing is that the 1500Hd has the auto 4x4 mode and the 2500HD does not.

There are other differences also, but I'm not sure how they would pertain to your use.

yes, I am looking at the 6.0. I had been looking for a diesel, but with the fuel prices, I talked myself right out of it. I have a nice Tahoe now and it pulls my camper wonderfully. I can set the cruise at 60 or better and turn on the air. I just miss a "truck" for camping. with the tahoe, the bikes go in the camper, firewood is a pain to haul...just want to go back to a truck, throw everything in the back and go!!! I had been looking at the 2500hd's, but came across the '03 1500hd and seems like a decent price, and I don't tow anything other than my camper and smaller stuff like my wheeler and boat, i should be fine with the 1500hd. Anyone else have any input??

Take a look at the towing and cargo carrying capacities of the 1500HD that you're looking at and compare it to a 2500HD you may be considering. Towing and cargo capacities are different animals. If you don't need the increased capacity of a 2500HD then stay with the 1/2 ton. As for Gas vs Diesel the diesel's have better torque and will generally get better mileage when working than a similar gas vehical. Of course diesel has been running more per gallon than gasoline. Having said that, I sold my '99 1500 Suburban last year and picked up a 2500HD the Duramax/Allison combo and it's a fantastic vehical - tows anything like a dream.

A diesel engine will get better mileage than a gas engine with similar specs, especially on the highway. My 2500HD with the Durmax gets better mileage than the 1500 Suburban I had before when I tow my boat, enough that the fuel cost difference is negligable to slightly favoring the diesel. The truck that should sell well is the upcomming GM 1500 with a smaller diesel engine in it - should be great for towing lighter loads.

Same here. I've had the 5.3L and the 6.0L but the Duramax gets better mileage than both of them even when driven hard. Driven with an easy foot on the highway it'll almost double-up the 6.0L's mpg. The best part of the diesel is the mileage AND the power to boot.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what the 1500's with the smaller Duramax will be like. It'll have as much HP and TQ as the first 6.6L Duramax's but only in a 1/2 ton package! Should be a sleeper with a little tuning. grin