• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Impeller?

I've had my Merc. for 12 years, since new. It has a thermostat and water does not stream out until the thermo. opens up. It is like a car, nowhere for the water to go until it opens up. It will open up when temp. gets high enough, whether that be at idle or wide open. The second I start it up , though, water does trickle out. Once the thermo. opens up, she shoots out. Good luck.

Talked to a guy who knows all about my motor and he said that water shouldnt come out until it opens up. Who knew. All that work for nothing.

SO All is well... Thanks everyone for your help. see you on the water!

Since you don't know when it's been replaced I would still look into replacing the impeller, as we said it's a few dollar part that will save thousands.

Many people don't understand this part is not like a water pump in a car, they are very delicate and wear out considerably. Replacement every few years will bring constant health to the motor.

Originally Posted By: Twins 57 Fan
All that work for nothing.

I beg to differ... you now know you're water pump is good and don't have to be concerned about buring your motor down from overheating.

Some cheap piece of mind in my opinion.

marine_man

Yep, peace of mind for sure, and lots of guys out there wouldn't even pay any mind to this and could wind up blowing their motors up. Did you say this was your first boat? Welcome to the world of boat ownership!

Boat:

1) hole in the water you throw money into

2) B reak O ut A nother T housand!