• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My own little waterfowl haven.

JayinMN

This pair has become daily visitors at my pond this spring. Not the best pictures but I must say they make nice lawn ornaments. Better then those plastic duck families you find in yards sometimes...lol I tried putting some corn out for them but the deer get it before they do. One corner of the pond it loaded with frog eggs but they must not like to eat them because they are still there. I tell ya this little pond thats maybe 35 feet in diameter adds a ton of entertainment around here. These pictures were taken a few days ago, but I am watching them right now as its raining out and I am stuck inside. I wish I like the rain as much as ducks do....grin.gif

ducks.jpg

ducks2.jpg

Unfortunately these woodies are so dang spooky as soon as I open they door they fly. My dog can walk right down to the pond though and they sit there. I don’t understand that. I don’t have any wood duck boxes up. I have a lake behind my house about 1/4 miles away so I bet its possible to get some to nest here. I have read that they will nest quite a ways from water. I don't think they would stay on my pond its too small to support a duck family.

Toss the corn in the water. Wood ducks are no dummies but they will stick around if you have some food and a house for them . I think they prefer a little pond to a lake as long as they are fed and have access to a box. my grandparents have a pond a little bigger but they have a nesting pair every year as long as I can remember .

Deer eating the corn ?

My g-pa always feeds the ducks.

IN THE WATER

t

I did toss some corn along the banks of the water too. It seems like they actually like to forage in the grass around the pond then go get a drink comeback out and look around some more for whatever they are eating. I am assuming the deer ate the corn that was on the land but I don't know for sure, it could have been the ducks. Mallards stop by every now and then too. I have a million deer though so I figured they were more likely the ones who got it on the land. I was actually thinking of making a floating feeder and maybe add a dead snag for them to perch on in the water and for turtles to bask on. There is a huge glob of frog eggs near shore. It must be 2 feet in diameter but they must not like frog eggs because they haven't been eaten yet.